Championship leader Shakey: We have one goal
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Championship leader Shakey: We have one goal
[Image: bsblogo.jpg]

Double champion Shane 'Shakey' Byrne arrives at his home round at Brands Hatch with one goal and that is to equal the record of three MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship titles this weekend (12/13/14 October).

The Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki has scored the most points in the Showdown with a win and three second places, but knows that this weekend could make or break his title aspirations as he bids to become one of the most successful BSB riders of all time and equal the title record of Niall Mackenzie and Ryuichi Kiyonari. Byrne doubled up on victories on the Grand Prix circuit earlier in the season after two intense battles with title rival Josh Brookes and knows that he needs a repeat performance in the three races.

Byrne said:

"To be honest going into the Showdown I was third in the standings and I was quite happy with that as the pressure was on the guys in front of me and now I have a nine point lead but it might as well be nothing when there are three lots of 25 points up for grabs. I think I am treating the weekend like I am behind and the best we can do is three wins.

"It is difficult to say how much better the bike is now compared to August as we don't know how much the other teams have moved on too since then. We know where we are and Brands Hatch wasn't that long ago so we have to approach the weekend ready to come straight out of the blocks for free practice. Our bike has worked well on the Grand Prix circuit in the past; I think that stands us in good stead and the boys have some good ideas on settings to try and improve some areas.

"The target for all of us is the same; they have to beat me and I need to beat them. Earlier in the season you could afford a second or a third but now we know that it won't be enough. I think the unpredictability of the Showdown means you can't pick out anybody as a target. On paper you can see who has the points ahead of Brands Hatch but there are other riders that can still stake a claim to the title. Mathematically it is possible for all six of us to win the title so we are all going out to try and win the three races. We have one goal and that is to win the title again this season."

The final round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship takes place at Brands Hatch this weekend (12/13/14 October)

12-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Website Find Reply