Title edges ever closer for Márquez with spectacular Motegi comeback
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Title edges ever closer for Márquez with spectacular Motegi comeback
[Image: moto2.gif]

Team CatalunyaCaixa Repsol’s Marc Márquez once again made an historic comeback at the Japanese Grand Prix, taking his eighth win of the current season and extending his advantage in the overall standings to 53 points.

The Spanish rider had not correctly selected first gear on the starting grid and needed to overtake the entire Moto2 field to secure his victory. It was reminiscent of the 2011 Australian GP, but whilst on that occasion he placed third, this time he went all the way.

Márquez began to pass quickly and was up to ninth by the end of lap one, and ten laps in, he passed Esteve Rabat for the lead. On the final six laps he was joined in a tussle for the win with persistent rival Pol Espargaró, who had upped his pace to catch up. Márquez won by four tenths of a second at a track where he won in 2010, the year of his 125cc title win.

With just three races remaining this year and 75 points in play, he has a 53-point advantage in the standings. He could be crowned 2012 Moto2 World Champion in seven days time in Malaysia.

[Image: marquezatmotegi2012.jpg]

Marc Márquez

"I made a huge mistake on the start —it was a rookie mistake. When I engaged first gear I noticed something strange, but at that moment I was only focusing on the lights and on making a good start. I didn't think to check that the gear had slotted in correctly. When the lights went out I found I was still in neutral and the first thing to cross my mind was to hope that nobody hit me from behind. I wasn't just because I didn't want to miss the race, but rather that the other rider and myself could have been very badly hurt.

"I had a lot of luck in that respect, but on the opening corner I was very far back and had to give 100% on the early laps. When I saw that I wasn't with the lead group, my aim was to take as many points as possible. However, I surprised myself with how I moved up places and reached the frontrunners. From then on, I took things much more calmly when it came to overtaking.

"From the midway point through to the end we had a better pace than in qualifying, which is very positive as Motegi is a track where the Kalex bikes go very well. To take 25 points here is important."

16-10-2012, 05:43 AM
Website Find Reply