Neill ‘proud’ of Brookes’ title challenge
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Neill ‘proud’ of Brookes’ title challenge
[Image: tycotashdr1.jpg]

Tyco Suzuki team manager Phillip Neill said he was “immensely proud” after Australian star Josh Brookes finished as the runner-up in the MCE British Superbike Championship on Sunday.

Brookes missed out on the coveted title to Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne, who was crowned champion for the third time after winning all three races in the final round of the Showdown at Brands Hatch.

And although TAS Racing chief Neill conceded he was disappointed to lose to Byrne and Paul Bird’s Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki team, he had nothing but praise for the efforts of the Moneymore outfit and Brookes, who earned the team’s best ever finish in the prestigious series.

“Although we are obviously a little disappointed not to deliver the British Superbike Championship for Suzuki and our sponsors, I am immensely proud of my team and of course Josh, for what has been a superb season of racing,” said Neill.

“Josh and his crew have a one hundred percent finish record this season; the only rider within the championship Showdown to achieve this record.

“Obviously it means little but if we were running under a standard championship points system Josh would be the champion, however we all know the Showdown can work for you or against you and the system certainly does provide an exciting end to the season.”

Having had time to overcome the initial heartbreak of losing the title to Byrne, Brookes is taking plenty of positives from a terrific effort this season.

“After the first two races of the weekend I admit I was off as I could see the championship slipping away from me,” he said.

“But now that it’s over, I’m fully relaxed and happy with the effort we all made this year.

“We’ve been really consistent, finished every race and I haven’t crashed during any of the races; I’ve given it my all.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
16-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Website Find Reply