Josh Brookes can handle TT hype, says Suzuki boss Philip Neill
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Josh Brookes can handle TT hype, says Suzuki boss Philip Neill
[Image: tycotashdr1.jpg]

Tyco Suzuki team principle Philip Neill concedes that British Superbike star Josh Brookes’ debut at the Isle of Man TT in 2013 will be enshrouded in ‘expectation’.

The Australian rider himself is treating his maiden appearance on the Mountain circuit next June purely as a learning year, but given his profile as this year’s BSB championship runner-up, Neill believes a sense of anticipation as the 29-year-old prepares to fulfil his ambition to compete at the event is inevitable.

Neill also revealed that Brookes insisted the option to race at the TT was written into his contract during negotiations for next season, underscoring his desire to tackle the challenges of the most daunting road race meeting in the world.

Analysing Brookes’ prospects for his long-awaited debut, Neill said: “It really is hard to put any targets in place, although with a rider of Josh’s ability and reputation, there will obviously be some expectation.

“I think Josh will be very realistic and from my experience he will only know after his first few practice laps if the TT really is for him or not.

“Either way, I expect him to treat his first year with careful consideration and examination and if he decides it is for him, then I see no reason why he won’t excel at this discipline of racing in the same way he has on circuits,”
he added.

“On the other hand, he may participate for one year and decide not to take his career in this direction, only time will tell.”

Revealing Brookes’ determination to follow through on his pledge to compete at the TT for real, Neill was left in little doubt over the Australian’s intentions.

“If I’m honest, neither the team nor the organisers can accept any credit for making this happen. “Josh was the one who made the decision, he was the one constantly mentioning the subject and when it came to negotiation time, he simply stated that he wanted this included in his agreement,” he said.

“I don’t think there was ever an ultimatum, however, I knew he was serious and after discussing the idea with Suzuki and our sponsors we agreed to it.”

The potential also remains for Brookes to race at the North West 200 in May as he builds up to the TT.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
10-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Website Find Reply