Barry Sheene
Anonymous
Unregistered

Barry Sheene
It has just been announced on Australian TV that Barry Sheene has passed away. He was due to be the Grand Marshall at the F1 yesterday but unfortunately this wasn't to be the case and he died this afternoon. RIP Barry.
10-03-2003, 07:41 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Barry Sheene
Such sad news. How ironic that he and Mike Hailwood both survived the risks of bike racing, only to die young from other, unassociated reasons. RIP
10-03-2003, 07:55 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just been announced on our morning tv.Very sad
10-03-2003, 07:59 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have just heard the sad news RIP Barry.
10-03-2003, 09:40 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to say that it came as a shock, even tho we knew it was on the cards. Such a fighter!
I for one believed he would win the battle.
Makes you feel very mortal when such legends are so vulnerable. The fact that Adam Faith died recently too hasnt helped my mood.
Anyway, lets remember the good days we had with him.
R.I.P. Bazza

Mike
10-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

On Friday we were told Barry had taken a big turn for the worse, and to expect bad news any day but its still come as a huge shock. Barry was great fun, a brilliant dinner companion and full of mischief and hilariously outrageous conversation when it suited him (which is why he annoyed so many people!) He was a great racer and a smashing friend, and we will miss him very much. Our love and thoughts are very much with Stephanie, Freddy, and Sydney.
10-03-2003, 12:13 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I sat in the car this morning when the sad news was announced. He's been my racing hero when I was a kid. I'll never forget his 500CC victory at Assen where he managed to win although he was injured. I heard they showed it on Dutch television this morning (10.03.'03) as a tribute to a legend. Great guy, fantastic racer, can't belief he's no longer alive. RIP Barry.
Chris
10-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very bad news! He was one of the heroes in my childness. RIP Barry. You've got me a lot of fun.
Michael
10-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

This country of ours has developed a frightening trend of hating and despising success....and revels in the downfall of the top dog...

Barry Sheene was from the era when we were proud of our home-grown winners and Barry was loved by everyone from young kids to the grannies..
He brought motorcycle racing to the masses and was a fine, coherent ambassador for the sport..

He rode to win, professionally and cleanly with no dirt sticking to him throughout his career..

He was dedicated and had continued his relationship with the sport even after retiring.

Our sympathy and love is extended round the world to Steph and the kids..
10-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really can't add much to what has been already been said.It a very sad day, thanks for the memories Barry, may you rest in peace.
10-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very sad, a great loss to motorcycle sport.

john
10-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

A sad sad day when one of your heroes passes. His picture from I took at Graham Hill Bend, Trans-Atlantic Challenge, still adorns my fridge !! One of the Lads, forever .... Miss Ya !
10-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Barry Sheene RIP, to me , it was Thanks to Barry Sheene , that motorcycling recieves the publicity that it now gets in the daily papers, admittedely, we need a new Sheene , but that will Never happen , cos Barry had his own way of doing things , Barry Sheene- Thanks for the memories, the famous no 7 has run its last race , a fighter to the end,God Rest You Barry .
10-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Barry Sheene, fond memories.
Yes its been a very sad day for all of us that grew up watching and admiring Barry Sheene. We all have our memories i`m sure. I have a treasured scrap book that i made up in the 70`s, a Barry Sheene body warmer !! and an autographed limited print that has hung in our house for well over 20yrs. Over the yrs so many people who know nothing about Roadracing have said "thats Barry Sheene yes ?" That was the impact that he made on fans worldwide.Deepest sympathies to his family in Australia and in Maidstone,Kent. Gone but never forgotton.
Thanks,
Stella.
10-03-2003, 11:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you see Scott on TV last night, Stella?
11-03-2003, 07:24 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The response in here is wonderful!
The man deserves nothing less.
However, its good to see this display of affection.
I dont know about everyone else, but I struggled yesterday....
Today, I am remembering the good times!
Thanks Barry.
One memory came to mind just now.
Do you recall him on a Katana at Donnington Park with Jimmy Greaves on the pillion?
"I aint going fast James!"
Barry, you couldnt do anything else!
Condolences to the extended family....
The Sheenes and Smarts,etc.

Mike
11-03-2003, 10:34 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

If my memory serves me correctly,I have that pillion ride of Jimmy Greaves on Betamax video somewhere.It was a couple of laps, and on the second lap the assembled horde of the 350LC ProAm series were passing the Katana left right and centre.God Bless Bazza.
11-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gutted, to have lost another of my racing heroes.
My memories are the same as the above mentioned, also
his battles with Mick Grant who rode the 'Green Meanie' as the Kawasaki
he rode was known. Ironically he died on what was 'officially' this years
Daytona race day, many of us who followed Barry will remember
that bad high speed blow-out he had there in 1975 and was lucky
enough to recover. I remember that Silverstone GP he battled with Kenny
Roberts well, had us on the edge to the last corner. And not least, he's
our last British World 500 GP champion !
My own fond memory is at Cadwell Park when I was 15 and gave him
a Star Bar (which had the star, Roger Marshell wore on his helmet and
leathers) I said to Barry, 'Roger sent you this', Barry says 'Thanks, I'm
starving' and ate it. I'm glad to say I have this photo still today among
many others. I will post it at later date, when more organised due to
moving recently!

My thoughts are with Stephanie, the children and all the Sheene family.
Bless him, even if he didn't like the TT course! He was one of the best
and had a good sense of humour! Bet he still had that last FAG!

16-03-2003, 03:58 PM