Michael Dunlop scathing of Supertwin class
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Michael Dunlop scathing of Supertwin class
[Image: mdunlopraisedfists.jpg]

The Supertwin class may have gained international status at the North West 200 and Isle of Man TT for the first time in 2012, but you won’t find Michael Dunlop extolling the virtues of the 650cc machines.

The 23-year-old has no love for the twin-cylinder middleweight bikes - pioneered in road racing by old adversary Ryan Farquhar - and claims cash-strapped riders would be better off investing in a 600cc Supersport machine instead.

Dunlop feels there is little kudos to be gained from winning races on the 90bhp twins.

“I’d rather win on any other bike than a Supertwin,” the Honda TT Legends rider told the News Letter.

“There’s no fun in riding a Supertwin and how any man thinks you could be a hero for winning on one of those things I don’t know.

“I lifted the engine of the Supertwin we had last year and it was heavier than the engine I had in my Superbike - that tells you how heavy they are.

“You hear all this stuff about the Supertwins being affordable to run but to be honest it’d be cheaper to run a ‘600’.

“You’re not going to be remembered for winning a Supertwin race,”
added the three-times TT winner.

“The only race that matters is a big bike win at the TT - that’s how you’re remembered.”

Dunlop makes no secret of his desire to win the Senior race at the TT - an achievement he places at the pinnacle of his chosen profession.

“Adrian Archibald retired recently and Adrian has won the Senior TT twice and the Formula One race - his name is on the trophies that every rider wants, so fair play to him,” he said.

“That’s how you’re measured in this game and that’s the one I want to win as well - the Senior TT.

“I’ve won on a 1000cc Superstock bike at the TT so I’ve proved I can win big bike races there and I want a proper Superbike win next.

“Back in the day all the top riders came through on the two-strokes but they’ve died out now and the Supertwin is the main option for riders coming into the sport,”
he added.

“But if they want a competitive twin, it’s too expensive, so they’d be far better off with a ‘600’.

“I’ve no love for them but Winston (McAdoo) is keen for me to ride one and if we get the bike right then I’ll maybe have a crack at it, but I wouldn’t want to become a hero for riding a Supertwin.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

Kyle White
20-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Website Find Reply
arzed Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Michael Dunlop scathing of Supertwin class
So Michael, you are now undermining all the wins your father and uncle had on the "smaller" classes are you?
12-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Find Reply