Double Podium For Smiths Triumph At Brands Hatch
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Double Podium For Smiths Triumph At Brands Hatch
[Image: smithstriumphsupersportlogo.jpg]

The Gloucester-based Smiths Triumph Racing Team enjoyed an excellent start to their Motorpoint British Supersport Championship defence at Brands Hatch this weekend with Billy McConnell claiming two hard fought runner-up spots and reigning champion Glen Richards a brace of fifths.

The Australian duo qualified in a superb first and second for Saturday's 18-lap Sprint race which saw Billy claim pole position for a second successive year as the race got underway in dry but cold conditions.

The initial race had to be re-started after a four-rider crash which saw the two Smiths Triumph riders hold third and fourth in the early stages. As the race progressed, McConnell closed in on leader Stuart Easton but couldn't do anything to pass the Scotsman so had to settle for second with Richards back in fifth at the chequered flag.

Today's longer 26-lap Feature race saw a ferocious seven-rider dice for the lead until Easton crashed out as Billy and Glen occupied fifth and sixth respectively in the first third of the race. McConnell hit the front on lap 18 but was unable to make the break with positions changing place all the way until the end. On the final lap, it was still anybody's race but it was Alastair Seeley who had the edge at the flag with Billy just getting the better of Wilson for second. Richards took fifth just 0.9s behind the race winner such was the competition.

Billy McConnell:

"It's going to be another close British Supersport season and this weekend has served up two hectic races once more. We still have some work to do to the new Triumph Daytona 675R but it handles like a dream so to come away with two seconds is brilliant and it's a good start to our season. Full credit to the team for all the work they've done with the bike and to be so close to the front so early bodes well for the rest of the season. Of course, I'd have loved to have won this weekend but we're in the ballpark and with a bit more power to come from the bike, we're going to be well placed and I'm really looking forward to the year ahead."

[Image: McConnellbrands2013.jpg]
Billy McConnell

Glen Richards:

"We've got some good, solid points this weekend but you always want to win so I know there's plenty more to come from me and I need to get myself dialled back into racing again. It's been one of those off-seasons where the weather's been against us and with a new bike; we've needed that dry track time more than ever. Overall, I'm happy with the bike though and we just need to iron out a few little things here and there and we'll be there. We were at the pointy end this weekend so if both the bike and myself can make some little improvements, we'll soon be back on the box."

Rebecca Smith, Team Manager:

"We're a lot further forward than where we expected to be at this stage of the season with the brand new Triumph Daytona 675R and all the development work that's been required so full credit to the team especially Jason Jones and John Trigger for all the hours they've been putting in. With a new bike, you need as much testing as possible but the weather's put paid to that so to put the bikes in first and second in qualifying was an unbelievable start.

"The red flag went against us in Saturday's race but the boys got two solid results and then Billy put in a superb ride today so for him to come away with two seconds this weekend is great and a lot better than this time last year. Glen was in the ballpark as well but we know he's more used to being on the podium, at least, so we'll look to get everything that little bit more dialled in for Thruxton and get both bikes in the top three."

Motorpoint British Supersport Championship Race 1 - 16 laps
1 Stuart Easton (Yamaha)
2 Billy McConnell (Smiths Racing Triumph)
3 Alastair Seeley (Kawasaki)
4 Ben Wilson (Kawasaki)
5 Glen Richards (Smiths Racing Triumph)
6 Graeme Gowland (Yamaha)

Motorpoint British Supersport Championship Race 2 - 26 laps
1 Alastair Seeley (Kawasaki)
2 Billy McConnell (Smiths Racing Triumph)
3 Ben Wilson (Kawasaki)
4 Luke Jones (Honda)
5 Glen Richards (Smiths Racing Triumph)
6 Graeme Gowland (Yamaha)

Championship standings (after one round)
1 Seeley 41pts
2 McConnell 40
3 Wilson 29
4 Easton 25
5 Richards 22
6 Jones 21

08-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Website Find Reply