Isle of Man Government D of E D appoints Manx Radio in new broadcast deal
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Isle of Man Government D of E D appoints Manx Radio in new broadcast deal
[Image: ttmonsterlogobig.jpg]

Isle of Man Government Department of Economic Development appoints Manx Radio in new broadcast deal for major motorcycle events

The Isle of Man Government Department of Economic Development, commercial rights holder of the Isle of Man TT and Isle of Man Festival of Motorcycling, has appointed Manx Radio in a new broadcast deal for both events. This new agreement will see Manx Radio broadcast two full event radio stations for the first time ever during 2013, and with an all Manx commentary team.

The station will continue to broadcast the Isle of Man TT Races, fuelled by Monster Energy, globally in May and June on its dedicated biking station, Manx Radio TT. In addition, for the first time Manx Radio will be running a dedicated eight day event radio station for the new Isle of Man Festival of Motorcycling in August, which includes the Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix Races.

The voice of Manx Radio Sport, Tim Glover, will lead the commentary team for both events during 2013 alongside regular pit-lane presenter Chris Kinley, Glen Helen commentator Dave Christian and Ramsey Hairpin commentator Roy Moore. An experienced anchor, Tim has reported on the TT for Manx Radio for more than 16 years.

Radio TT will this year commence coverage of the TT on Monday 29th May and will continue to broadcast to Senior Race Day, Friday 7th June, with coverage of the pre-TT Classic Races and the Post TT Road Races at Billown being broadcast as part of Manx Radio's normal broadcasting.

Coverage of the Festival of Motorcycling will run for eight days between Friday 23rd and Friday 30th August and include all the racing and Festival events.

The station can be picked up on 1368AM anywhere on the Island, on 100.6FM in the north of the Island and 87.9FM in the Douglas area. Practice and race commentary, as well as live timing, is also available worldwide through the official iomtt.com website.

[Image: manxradiostudioshot.jpg]

Anthony Pugh, Managing Director of Manx Radio, commented:

"Since the launch of Manx Radio in 1964, our coverage of the TT has been at the heart of our broadcast output and this year's extended coverage marks an exciting new era in global TT broadcasting as we approach our 50th anniversary. Manx Radio TT is an integral part of the two week TT festival that keeps fans up to date with all of the action both trackside and worldwide as well as everything else that is going on during the fortnight. The station's passion, enthusiasm and knowledge will be of great assistance as we continue to build the audience and profile for the TT Races and the new Isle of Man Festival of Motorcycling."

"I am delighted to welcome Tim Glover to the anchor commentary position and am sure that his knowledge and enthusiasm of this flagship motorcycling event will be welcomed and enjoyed by our listeners. As a consequence, I am disappointed to confirm that Charlie Lambert will no longer be part of the Manx Radio commentary team. Charlie has been the voice of the TT since 2004 and fans around the world will inevitably miss his hugely professional commentaries. Similarly, Charlie Williams, who has knowledgeably contributed to Manx Radio's TT coverage for so many years, will not be with us this year with Chris Kinley taking over the morning chat shows. I would like to thank both Charlie Lambert and Charlie Williams, on behalf of their supporters, for their passionate commitment to the success of Manx Radio TT.

"Manx Radio believes that the changes we have introduced to our 2013 TT coverage will allow us to build on the exceptional level of service we already provide to listeners of Manx Radio TT and we look forward to bringing the greatest road race on earth to the world this May and the inaugural Isle of Man Festival of Motorcycling in August."

Geoff Corkish, MBE, MLC, Political Member, Isle of Man Tourism, commented:

"Manx Radio TT is an integral part of the two week TT festival that keeps fans up to date with all of the action both trackside and worldwide as well as everything else that is going on during the fortnight. The station's passion, enthusiasm and knowledge will be of great assistance as we continue to build the audience and profile for the TT Races and the new Isle of Man Festival of Motorcycling."

[Image: manxradiomain.gif]

(This post was last modified: 18-04-2013, 09:19 PM by Malcolm.)
18-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: Isle of Man Government D of E D appoints Manx Radio in new broadcast deal

Why I won’t be with Manx Radio this year

Today I was informed that Manx Radio will not be renewing my contract to commentate on the TT and MGP races.

I’m very disappointed about this although it did not come as a massive shock. It’s been evident for several months that Manx Radio and the IoM Government were having difficulties reaching a deal for 2013. Money is in short supply and I’m part of the collateral damage.

So is my pal Charlie Williams who is not being engaged this year and I’m also very sad that our fantastic duo Mavis Brown and Heike Perry are not going to be providing commentaries in French and German.

Over 9 years I’ve called home 193 races. It has been a massive privilege to do this, and be the commentator at the 2007 centenary, the first 130mph lap, Hutchy’s five in a row, Dan Kneen’s MGP treble, the closest-ever finish on the Mountain Course when Craig Atkinson won the MGP Junior, Carolynn Sells recording the first victory by a woman, and be involved in projects like Closer to the Edge, the TT Zero documentary and many other activities, not least being asked to lead the funeral of Paul Dobbs.

I want to say a massive thank you to everyone who has helped and supported me over the years, especially Eunice Cubbon, Norman Quayle, Tim Glover, Chris Kinley and Martin Bullock. And above all Dorothy Lambert who is the only one who knows exactly how much of a challenge it’s been at times.

[Image: charlielambertbloghdr.jpg]

18-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Website Find Reply
higgy Offline

Threads: 0
date is wrong 29MAYIS WED NOT MONDAY AS STATEDExclamation
18-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
(18-04-2013, 09:26 PM)Malcolm Wrote: .

Why I won’t be with Manx Radio this year

Today I was informed that Manx Radio will not be renewing my contract to commentate on the TT and MGP races.

I’m very disappointed about this although it did not come as a massive shock. It’s been evident for several months that Manx Radio and the IoM Government were having difficulties reaching a deal for 2013. Money is in short supply and I’m part of the collateral damage.

So is my pal Charlie Williams who is not being engaged this year and I’m also very sad that our fantastic duo Mavis Brown and Heike Perry are not going to be providing commentaries in French and German.

Over 9 years I’ve called home 193 races. It has been a massive privilege to do this, and be the commentator at the 2007 centenary, the first 130mph lap, Hutchy’s five in a row, Dan Kneen’s MGP treble, the closest-ever finish on the Mountain Course when Craig Atkinson won the MGP Junior, Carolynn Sells recording the first victory by a woman, and be involved in projects like Closer to the Edge, the TT Zero documentary and many other activities, not least being asked to lead the funeral of Paul Dobbs.

I want to say a massive thank you to everyone who has helped and supported me over the years, especially Eunice Cubbon, Norman Quayle, Tim Glover, Chris Kinley and Martin Bullock. And above all Dorothy Lambert who is the only one who knows exactly how much of a challenge it’s been at times.

[Image: charlielambertbloghdr.jpg]

I do believe that Charlie L was somewhat critical of the new MGP arrangements.

Wouldn't go down well with Govt. Departments, that.

In addition, it's quite disgraceful that Charlie W and, in particular, Mavis and Heike are being dumped.

Every time you think that it can't get worse, these donkeys prove you wrong!!!

Icon_mad
18-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Two event stations - but big names go

Manx Radio T.T. will offer event radio stations for both the T.T. and the Festival of Motorcycling for the next two years, but some big names have gone from the commentary line-up.

Charlie Lambert will no longer be the anchor commentator, a position he has held since 2004. Hewill be replaced by Manx Radio Sports Editor Tim Glover.

And after 24 years, Charlie Williams will not be presenting his T.T. chat shows - Chris Kinley will take over the morning role.

The deal for the events has been agreed and signed by the Department of Economic Development and Manx Radio.

Manx Radio Managing Director Anthony Pugh says it is with much sadness that the changes have had to be made, but everyone is having to cut their cloth in difficult economic times:-

Listen To Related Audio Clip

[Image: manxradiottlogo.jpg]

19-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
This decision will, I feel, be somewhat detrimental to the TT --

as good as Tim Glover is as Sports Editor, he is going to find speaking to the world audience continuously for the time it takes to run a TT from beginning to end with everything in between, a huge, huge task.

The likes of the two Charlies did their jobs like they was born to 'em..

Maybe less money should be poured down the sink in the Film Industry on the IOM !!

Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
21-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Website Find Reply