Sykes Sets A New Track Best To Win Superpole
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Sykes Sets A New Track Best To Win Superpole
[Image: kawasakiwsbhdr.jpg]

KRT rider Tom Sykes posted a new track best at the ultra-fast Monza circuit to win his third Superpole contest in succession for the Kawasaki Racing Team. His team-mate Loris Baz was 11th.

In dry conditions Sykes and his crew got the very best out the race spec Ninja ZX-10R around the 5.777km Monza circuit, with Sykes taking a narrow but deserved Superpole win after a strong late push.

Eugene Laverty had scored a new best lap just before Tom completed his final run to pole but eventually Tom’s 1’41.223 lap time was enough to give him the honour of being fastest ever at this historic circuit. This was his 14th career Superpole win and his third in succession this season.

A wet start to the weekend robbed all the competitors of some clear track time but it proved to be dry on the second day allowing good work to be done in preparation for Superpole and for race day.

Loris Baz proved to have good race pace on race tyres in practice and had qualified eighth going into the Superpole contest. On qualifying tyres and for a single lap he could not break into a fast enough pace to challenge into the last part of Superpole and dropped to 11th on the grid.

Fabrizio Lai (Kawasaki Team Pedercini) went 14th in Superpole and Federico Sandi (Kawasaki Team Pedercini) was 15th, meaning both riders will start from the fifth row at their home round.

[Image: tomsykespolemonza2013.jpg]

Tom Sykes:

“I did not know the time Eugene had set but I knew that the Aprilias would be fast here. I am looking forward to tomorrow because we all have good race pace. In some areas we have an advantage and we got a new circuit record in Superpole, and the ideal starting position for tomorrow. I am looking forward to two exciting races. I like racing at Monza because the spectators are crazy like me! The fans are very enthusiastic and Monza is a very fast circuit. I hope to be very strong tomorrow.”

Loris Baz:

“We are not going so fast in a single lap and when you know what the problems is then OK, but right now we do not really know why. We are fighting and working hard. This morning was OK, with race tyres it was OK, but we need to make a step in qualifying to move up to the front. My regular pace is OK but we need to find some speed. We will try to find something in morning warm-up as well. We have good stability in braking and good grip but maybe manoeuvrability is the key because although the bike is working well I cannot go any faster. My top speed is not so far behind Tom, even here.”

11-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Website Find Reply