Josh Brookes makes his mark on road racing debut
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Josh Brookes makes his mark on road racing debut
[Image: nw200logo2013.jpg]

British Superbike Championship hot-shot Josh Brookes made an impressive road racing debut at the Vauxhall International North West 200 on Tuesday as the Tyco Suzuki star set the fifth fastest time in the Superbike class.

Brookes (29) endured a baptism of fire in the newcomers session as he ventured onto the high-speed 8.9-mile ‘Triangle’ roads course in the pouring rain.

The Australian rider was slightly perturbed on the opening laps but he soon found his bearings and came into his own in the Superbike practice session later in the day, lapping at a respectable 113.87mph to take fifth on the time sheets ahead of Milwaukee Yamaha’s William Dunlop on his GSX-R1000.

[Image: joshbrookes1at2013nw200.jpg]

His team-mate, Guy Martin, had set the third fastest time in the Superbike class at 114.68mph but failed to complete the required five qualifying laps, promoting Dean Harrison to third on the RC Express/MSS Kawasaki on the provisional grid with Brookes moving up a position to fourth. Brookes, who is set to travel to the Isle of Man next weekend ahead of his debut on the infamous Mountain Course at the TT, followed Dunlop for a number of laps and later said he was ‘learning all the time’.

“On those opening laps I was thinking, ‘jeez what have I let myself in for here’, but it was a lot drier for the Superbike session and I really enjoyed my first experience of road racing,” said last year’s British Superbike runner-up.

“Station Corner was very intimidating and I did struggle with finding my braking markers. But I spent two laps out on track with William Dunlop and I am learning all the time.”

Brookes will ride in the opening Superstock race on Thursday evening plus Saturday’s two blue riband Superbike races and the second Superstock event.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
15-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Website Find Reply