Michael Dunlop makes perfect start on Honda TT Legends Superbike
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Michael Dunlop makes perfect start on Honda TT Legends Superbike
[Image: nw200logo2013.jpg]

Michael Dunlop could hardly have made a bigger impression on his first roads outing on the Honda TT Legends Fireblade as the Ulster rider set the fastest Superbike lap during opening practice at the Vauxhall International North West 200 on Tuesday.

Dunlop, who is seeking his maiden four-stroke success on the 8.9-mile coastal circuit, left it until his final lap to really up the ante, increasing his average speed to 118.21mph to comfortably end the session on top by a massive 7.6s from New Zealand’s Bruce Anstey.

It was a brilliant effort by the Ballymoney man, who has been in stunning form in the premier class so far this season, taking four wins from four on his MD Racing Fireblade at Cookstown and Tandragee.

Anstey lapped at 115mph on the new-look HM Plant by Padgett’s Motorcycles Honda in the mixed conditions to finish behind the 24-year-old, with Dean Harrison on the RC Express/MSS Kawasaki in third (114.15mph).

Tyco Suzuki’s Guy Martin set the third fastest Superbike speed of 114.68mph but failed to complete the required number of five qualifying laps, racking up four laps on the GSXR-1000.

[Image: mdunloponhondanw200.jpg]
Michael Dunlop on the TT Legends Fireblade

Dunlop was clearly surprised to be so far ahead of Anstey.

“When you are that far in front there is something not right. I couldn’t see where I was going because Martin Jessopp blew up in front of me and covered my screen in oil,” he said.

“I had to keep my head above the bubble for most of the time. But I’m happy enough, we are on the front two rows in every class if it rains on Thursday.”

Anstey, who has an incredible record at the North West of finishing on the rostrum at least once every year since he made a winning debut in 2002, was satisfied with his afternoon’s work on the black and orange Honda machines.

“The bikes feel good but I was out on my own most of the time so I didn’t get much to compare with,” he said.

“But I don’t think that we are too far off, it’s been a good start.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White
15-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Website Find Reply