The 2013 Vauxhall North West 200 was abandoned because of heavy rain
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
The 2013 Vauxhall North West 200 was abandoned because of heavy rain
[Image: nw200logo2013.jpg]

The 2013 Vauxhall North West 200 has been abandoned because of heavy rain. Event Director Mervyn Whyte, MBE, announced the decision at 3.14pm after the course had been deluged in torrential rain all day.

“I am very sad to have to announce that the 2013 Vauxhall International North West 200 has had to be abandoned due to heavy rain.” Mervyn Whyte said.

I have carried out a final inspection of the course with John McGuinness, Michael Rutter and Stuart Easton and there is a huge amount of surface water, particularly on the coast road, that would make racing impossible.

It is very unfortunate after all the hard work done by everyone involved in organising the race and for all the teams and riders who have travelled here to compete.

I am gutted for the fans who have turned out in their thousands to support us today in spite of the weather.

Thankyou for all of your support but in the interests of everyone’s safety we have had no choice but to make this decision.”

The McKendry Fabrications Supersport race began at 11.11am but had to be red flagged after two laps when a number of competitors had slid off without injury in the wet conditions. Michael Dunlop (MDR Honda) was declared the winner with Bruce Anstey (HM Plant/Padgett’s Honda) second and Lee Johnston (Millsport Racing Honda) finishing third.

[Image: mdunloponpodiumatnw2013.jpg]

It was Dunlop’s first win on a four stroke machine on the 8.9 mile Triangle course and he was delighted to get the victory.

“I heard one commentator say that I would be licking my wounds after being beaten on Thursday. I was wondering if he would like to come here now and lick my champagne!” he joked afterwards.“

Flying Kiwi Bruce Anstey continued his remarkable North West record, managing to score a podium finish every year since his debut in 2002. It was his 23rd podium in total to go along with his 9 victories at Portrush.

“I would have liked to have made it double figures with the wins but it is still great to keep up the podium record.” he said afterwards.

It was the only action that the thousands of fans who braved the awful weather had the opportunity to see on track. The organisers waited in vain for the rain to clear but it continue to pelt down. All of the riders were complaining of a lack of visibility because of the spray, and with the weather worsening Whyte had no choice but to call a final halt to proceedings at 3.14pm.

pic by Stephen Davison/Pacemaker Press
18-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Website Find Reply