Juniper was like ‘swimming pool’ says John McGuinness
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Juniper was like ‘swimming pool’ says John McGuinness
[Image: nw200logo2013.jpg]

Vastly experienced Honda TT Legends star John McGuinness described the conditions at Saturday’s Vauxhall International North West 200 as among the worst he has seen.

The 41-year-old joined event director Mervyn Whyte plus Honda team-mate Michael Rutter and Mar-Train Racing’s Stuart Easton on an inspection lap of the 8.9-mile ‘Triangle’ circuit before the final decision was made to abandon the meeting.

The conditions were in complete contrast to Friday’s weather, when fans basked in glorious sunshine on the north coast.

“There was four to five inches of water through the Juniper Chicane section on Saturday and it was like a swimming pool, so it simply wasn’t possible for the racing to continue,” said McGuinness.

“As fast as the water was being cleared it was re-forming and it’s just such a shame for everyone involved in the event.

“We all love coming here and we all love riding but safety has to come first at all times; it’s just so frustrating when the non-race day saw such fine weather,”
added McGuinness.

“On the plus side, we did get to complete three races and the bikes were working really well in practice and I was happy with all of them.”

[Image: mcpintnw2013ssportbike.jpg]
John McGuinness on the HM Plant/Padgett's Honda Supersport machine at the North West 200

McGuinness finished seventh in Thursday’s Supersport race before retiring from the Superstock event.

On Saturday, the English rider - who qualified on pole on his HM Plant/Padgett’s Honda - finished sixth in the Supersport race, which was declared a result after two laps.

“I put the HM Plant/Padgetts Honda’s on the front row whilst the Honda TT Legends bike was also bang on the pace, I just pulled in a lap too soon [in practice] otherwise I’m confident I’d have been higher up on the grid.

“Sadly, we didn’t get to race the Superbike and although conditions were far from ideal in either of the Supersport races, I did my very best and I’m satisfied with sixth and seventh.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White
20-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Website Find Reply