Sykes Rips Up the Record Books In Superpole Yet Again
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Sykes Rips Up the Record Books In Superpole Yet Again
[Image: kawasakiwsbhdr.jpg]

Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) finished up with a new track best to take his fourth Superpole win of 2013 and the 15th of his career. Loris Baz, his KRT team-mate, was finally 12th on the grid.

Sykes beat his own previous best lap, set in 2012, no fewer than three times in Superpole and twice on consecutive laps in the final part of the three-stage elimination sessions.

Tom’s new track best is a 1’27.378 and his latest Superpole win means he has scored four poles in succession this season alone. With 15 Superpole wins in total Tom is now equal sixth in the all-time Superpole record books, tied with former SBK great Colin Edwards.

Sykes was peerless today after his small slide into the gravel yesterday, feeling no ill-effects as the weather turned from wet and cold to dry and sunny. Two 23-lap Superbike races are schedule for Sunday with more good weather expected to shine on Donington and Tom’s legion of home fans.

Loris Baz was a strong fifth in regular combined qualifying but was unable to make the most of his qualifying tyres in Superpole Two and he was unable to progress to the final Superpole session. He now lines up 12th on the grid, on the fourth row.

Federico Sandi (Kawasaki Team Pedercini) was 17th on the grid after missing Superpole, while his team-mate Alexander Lundh placed 19th on his return to racing after injury.

Tom Sykes:

“I had a small crash yesterday on a damp section of the track but the boys did a really good job and gave me a great Ninja ZX-10R to ride today. We have worked hard on the race set-up here not just in qualifying. There are a number of factors why I can do well in Superpole but I have always enjoyed riding by myself on the best package we have. Combine that with the ‘time-trial’ element of Superpole and I just race myself and the tarmac. The refreshing thing is that the Ninja ZX-10R is working well over race distance and now when we start at the top. We should have a fairly consistent package for tomorrow’s races. That is the most important thing.”

Loris Baz:

“Our race pace is good and that is the main thing for tomorrow, even though it is not so easy to overtake here sometimes. I did not feel really good in Superpole but more myself than the bike. I think I did not push enough with the second qualifying tyre and it felt like somebody was playing me like a game but I did not know what to do to go faster. I have to make a good start tomorrow and come back to the front. My confidence and pace on race tyres is good I just did not manage to make a fast lap in Superpole.”

25-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Website Find Reply