Rea maintains remarkable Portimao podium run
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Rea maintains remarkable Portimao podium run
[Image: patahondalogo.jpg]

Pata Honda rider Jonathan Rea took his seventh career podium finish at Portimao in Portugal today by taking third place in race two of the sixth-round World Superbike championship event.

The first 22-lap race was won by Marco Melandri after 26-year-old Rea retired on lap nine with a technical problem. On the same lap, his Pata Honda team-mate, Leon Haslam, also retired – a result of the injury he sustained in a practice crash at Assen in The Netherlands at the end of April.

Starting from 14th place on the grid, Haslam had battled up to tenth before pulling into the pits in discomfort, unable to ride his Honda CBR1000RR in the way he wanted. The 30-year-old opted to withdraw from race two to concentrate on improving his fitness for the next round at Imola in Italy in three weeks.

Starting from the front row of the grid, Rea got a superb start to race two and, from second place, closely tracked eventual race winner, Eugene Laverty, until half race distance when his rear tyre performance began to fall off.

Rea was passed by Sylvain Guintoli but held on to take third place, his seventh podium finish at the 4.592km Autodromo Internacional do Algarve, to maintain his record of at least one podium finish every year since his full World Superbike debut in 2009.

Jonathan Rea – DNF and 3rd

It’s been a frustrating weekend, yet again, but we have a podium to take away from it and I’m quite happy to get back into the podium way. I set a really good pace in the first part of race two and the bike felt really good but, as soon as the grip dropped, the electronics were playing havoc. I can’t turn the traction control up because I slow down even more and, if I turn it off, the bike becomes unrideable. We’re just waiting for some more input, but it hasn’t come yet, which is frustrating. Race one was also disappointing because we’re just having too many mechanical problems this year. It was frustrating to go through that when I was fighting in the top five and two good circuits for us have now been and gone and we haven’t been able to capitalise. Imola is another strong circuit for us, so hopefully we can be back up here again. I want to thank Chris [Pike – crew chief] and everyone who keeps digging deep and working hard, and all the fans for their support, which means a lot at the moment when we’re finding it tough.

Leon Haslam – DNF and DNS

A tough weekend, really, when I’ve been struggling with power in the leg. The knee bend was pretty good, but I just struggled in race one with fatigue in the rest of my body. I couldn’t use my leg properly, so the manhandling of the bike that’s needed round here was done pretty much using my upper body. You don’t realise how much you use your legs on the bike until you can’t use one of them! It’s a little frustrating, but I got eight or nine laps in before I was completely done, and I managed to pass a few people, like Leon Camier, who finished fourth. We’ve made progress from Donington and we have another three weeks until Imola. We’ve also been keeping up to speed on the electronics, which will be useful in the races to come. We haven’t made many chassis changes because a lot of the problems are from me not being able to push through the pegs. I just need to get a bit more strength back in the leg.

Pieter Breddels – technical co-ordinator

Leon went out in race one and was immediately quite aggressive, getting up into the top ten. Eventually he dropped positions again and finally had to come in. He’s not in a good condition yet and needs to recover some more but I’m quite sure that in Imola we can have another go at it. Jonathan was in fifth position when he had another mechanical problem and this is not good. I can only apologise again for the problem he had with the bike because this is not how things should be. Luckily in race two he was able to get a podium after fighting for the lead and then for second place. That gives us something positive to finish the weekend, but we still need to understand the problems we’ve had lately, and work on them. We can look forward to Imola but, for sure, we have work to do.

Event results - Round 6 - Race 1

1 Marco Melandri 38m12.447s ITA BMW BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK Team
2 Sylvain Guintoli 0.007 FRA APRILIA Aprilia Racing Team
3 Tom Sykes 4.224 GBR KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
4 Leon Camier 9.479 GBR SUZUKI Fixi Crescent Suzuki
5 Loris Baz 12.057 FRA KAWASAKI Kawasaki Racing Team
6 Chaz Davies 16.610 GBR BMW BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK Team
7 Michel Fabrizio 21.350 ITA APRILIA Red Devils Roma
8 Jules Cluzel 22.337 FRA SUZUKI Fixi Crescent Suzuki
9 Carlos Checa 23.662 SPA DUCATI Team Ducati Alstare
10 Federico Sandi 1'26.995 ITA KAWASAKI Pedercini Team
11 Vittorio Iannuzzo 1'27.119 ITA BMW Grillini DENTALMATIC SBK Team