Micky D and the TT - Simon Buckmaster
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Micky D and the TT - Simon Buckmaster
[Image: ptrhdr.jpg]

A new venture for PTR in 2013 was to build the 2013 CBR600RR for Honda to be supplied to Michael Dunlop’s MD Racing Team for the Isle of Man TT.

We spoke with Gary Ryan, the long time sponsor and friend of Michael Dunlop, and with Michael himself to provide the support package for the NW200, TT and Ulster Grand Prix so we could be sure that Michael would get the full benefit of the PTR Honda at the major road races. As all of you know the NW200 was mostly a wash out, however, Michael still managed second place in the Thursday Supersport race on a wet but drying track; after just missing out on the win to a charging Alistair Seeley on the last lap. He made amends in the shortened wet race on Saturday taking his and PTR’s first NW200 Supersport win to set himself up for the TT.

He started the TT with chief mechanic to Matt Davies, Mark Kelly, there as PTR support before Carl (Stan) Meakin and myself took over towards the end of practice week. From our side we cannot praise the commitment and focus of Michael Dunlop enough. He, Gary Ryan and the rest of the MD racing boys were a joy to work with.

I have known Michael for a while now after he rode our bike in the 2011 Sunflower races at Bishops Court, where we could already see the massive potential he had to move to the next level. We are proud to have been part of his 2013 TT effort and after dominating Supersport race one to control the race and win comfortably by just over 10 seconds; he went into race two in a confident position. What a race that proved to be! Full praise to Bruce Anstey and Padgett’s for giving Michael such a push, but his ability, style and determination shone through again as he broke the lap record by nearly a full mile an hour to lift the bar to 128.6 mph and set a new race record and win again.

This added to his domination of Superbike race one and then another heroic last lap charge to secure another race and lap record in the Superstock race with a lap of 131.2 mph, just over three seconds outside the new outright lap record set by John McGuinness on the last lap of Sunday’s Superbike race. I am sure Michael could have set a new lap record in the first Superbike race as well but he showed his new maturity to do the job and not be lured into a last lap charge with such a comfortable winning margin.

[Image: simonbwithmickyd.jpg]

People have said that Michael is hard work to have in a team but I have to say I do not agree now I know this man. I find him to be a nice but determined and focused man surrounded by loyal people in Gary Ryan and the other boys from MD Racing. In his own words he is just a normal young guy doing what he loves to do.

In the modern and sometimes over commercial world that racing now is I cannot tell you what a refreshing experience it has been to see his desire to win coupled with genuine happiness to be racing. These boys know how to work hard but still get the full enjoyment out of what they are doing. I think I can safely say I cannot remember laughing so much whilst everyone gave it their all to get the rewards of victory.

Although very different people Eugene Laverty and Michael are a rarity these days in the fact that they show loyalty to the sponsors and don’t forget that they are the ones who have made it possible to get them where they now are. Michael is now on the crest of a wave and he fully deserves it. He could not make it all five race wins. In the Senior John McGuinness put together a great race to take the win. Michael felt he hit some slower riders at the wrong time and lost a little in the pit stops but he took nothing away from John and four wins and a second place is not exactly shabby for anyone in the TT. He should be very proud of his achievements and now takes his place as a true star of road racing.

A few things to watch out for as this year goes on may even be an appearance from Michael Dunlop at a WSS event. Watch this space. Together with Gary Ryan we will try and make that happen and I am sure many of you will come along to see just what he can do. I have every faith in him, he is not just a road racer, this is a talented rider with good feel for a bike.

Cheers

Simon
17-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Website Find Reply