Martin Jessopp will race through the pain barrier this weekend
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Martin Jessopp will race through the pain barrier this weekend
[Image: martinjessoponbike.jpg]

Martin Jessopp will race through the pain barrier this weekend after deciding to brave a broken coccyx
and ride in the MCE British Superbikes at Snetterton.

Martin Jessopp will race through the pain barrier this weekend after deciding to brave a broken coccyx and ride in the MCE British Superbikes at Snetterton.

The Ridersmotorcycles.com BMW ace of Yeovil faced a race against time to be fit to take to the grid following a fall from a massive highside at Knockhill that fractured the bone at the end of his spine and left him with bruising and internal bleeding.

Medics warned the 27-year-old that he could face up to eight weeks on the sidelines but following a ride on a roadbike this morning he has decided the pain is bearable.

Jessopp said even that though racing at Snetterton was not essential, the demands of his profession leave him in a good position to compete.

He said: “Unfortunately the poor start to the season means we’re not fighting for a championship so we’re not in a position where I am having to ride no matter what.

“There is another race a week after at my favourite track. By then we will be a lot further down the road and we will be looking at a good position to go out and get a good result. At the moment, for this weekend, that’s not the case.

“It’s different for the average Joe and they might look forward to seven weeks off work. But for guys in sport, especially those in motorsport and shown no better than at the weekend by MotoGP champion Jorge Lorenzo, it’s up to us whether we race.

“We listen to the medical advice but treat is just as that because we heal a lot quicker because we are fitter and our pain threshold is a lot higher as the amount of injuries we get means we don’t feel it so much.

“I want to be there at the weekend and the team wants to be there, but we have to be sensible. It’s a long way for the team to go and a lot of money and effort will go into travelling up there.”

Judging his current pain, Jessopp added:

“I’m happier when I’m up on my feet, out walking about. It’s still painful sitting down or lying down, it’s just unfortunate there’s nothing we can do to speed up the healing.

“We’re taking it day by day, which is pretty boring and very frustrating. I think I’ve heard all the jokes as well.”

04-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Website Find Reply