Seeley desperate to regain top spot
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Seeley desperate to regain top spot
[Image: seeleyonkwacker2013.jpg]

Carrickfergus rider Alastair Seeley has enjoyed a battle royale so far this season at the summit of the British Supersport Championship. The Gearlink Kawasaki pilot and his main adversary for the title: Mar-Train Racing's Stuart Easton, have already swapped top spot on a number of occasions.

After the opening eight races of the 2013 season, just a solitary point separates the duo, as they head into round five this weekend at Snetterton in Norfolk. Scotsman Easton nipped in front after a double podium effort during his home round at Knockhill in Scotland a fortnight ago, but Seeley had livestock problems, which halted his one-hundred percent podium record this term.

"Yeah I wore a brand new set of leathers at Knockhill and the old cow-hide was just too tight around my arms," he explained in his usual sprightly manner, en route to a local spin class in preparation for battle weekend number five.

"That's been the only disappointment so far this season to be honest, as I'm really enjoying being back in the Supersport class and battling with Stuart and the boys.

"In saying that, I don't think we really nailed the set-up at Knockhill and that combined with arm pump caused by the tight-fitting leathers, meant we missed out on a race two podium."

Seeley and Easton, both former winners of the British middleweight title, have demonstrated their obvious talent in the class, having already pulled 30 points clear of the pack. Both men would be a worthy addition to any of the top World Supersport teams, but for now the focus is head down, rear-end up and British title number three for the Wee Wizard.

"There are 16 races left this season and anything can happen in motorsport as we saw last weekend with Jorge Lorenzo breaking his collarbone at Imola," he said referring to Majorca's current MotoGP World Champion.

"In saying that, I couldn't see any of us getting sent in a private plane for surgery and retuned to the circuit to race. It would be a matter of fixing it with a Black and Decker and a few self-tappers!" he joked.

With the Ulster Grand Prix on the horizon and the disappointment of the North West 200 washout still fresh in his mind – not to mention the pre-calculated loss of around £10,000 prize money – I asked him was Dundrod and the UGP starting to seem attractive?

"We got a win at the North West but the whole event was a disappointment for everyone as nothing seemed to go right," he deflected, before addressing the question.

"Noel Johnston rang me a few years ago about The Ulster, as did Paul Phillips from the TT, but it's not for me.

"Nice to be considered yeah, but winning the British Supersport title is my only priority this year. If a World Supersport ride came up next season I'd love to have a go at it as I always wonder where I'd slot in.

"But if that doesn't materialise then I'll be happy staying in British Supersport and riding the North West every year. Surely it can't rain forever up there in Portrush!"
he smiled.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]

Paul Lindsay

05-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Website Find Reply