Ten Years Ago
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Ten Years Ago
[Image: hizzycloseupshot.jpg]

This is how the tragic death of Steve "The Flying Haggis" Hislop was reported back in 2003.

As a reminder of the forthrightness of Hizzy, read the interview that TTwebsite carried out with him at his home in Onchan in 2001

TTwebsite 2001 Interview

30-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Website Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19
RE: Ten Years Ago
I well remember reading that interview at the time, and being immediately struck by two things. Reading it again today, 12 years on, I am still struck by the very same two things!

Firstly the strength of Steve Hislop’s opinions – there is some pretty controversial stuff in there which would have upset a lot of people at the time – but he was honest enough to tell it exactly as he saw it.

Secondly, it illustrates graphically what a complete and utter mess the TT was in back in those days – an event with a glorious past but with absolutely no hope whatsoever for the future. What a contrast today, and nobody has done more to lift the event out of the ‘dark ages’ (again Hizzy’s words) than the very person who conducted this interview back in 2001!

Steve Hislop was an all-time TT great who will be remembered with admiration for as long as bikes are raced around the Mountain Course. I feel very privileged to have witnessed every one of his TT wins.
30-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Find Reply