John McGuinness eyes more Isle of Man TT success
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
John McGuinness eyes more Isle of Man TT success
[Image: mcpintwith2014honda.jpg]

John McGuinness has warned ‘there’s life in the old dog yet’ after the Isle of Man TT legend was confirmed in a new-look Honda line-up with Manx rider Conor Cummins for 2014.

McGuinness clinched his 20th TT success in June with a timely victory in the Senior race after playing second fiddle to Michael Dunlop throughout race week.

It was one of the Morecambe man’s most hard-fought successes on the Mountain Course, but combined with his new outright lap record of 131.671mph set on his way to third place in the Superbike event, McGuinness proved he still remains at the top of his game.

The 41-year-old and Ramsey man Cummins were officially unveiled as Honda Motor Europe’s roads pairing for the North West 200 and Isle of Man TT at the Motorcycle Live Show at the NEC in Birmingham on Saturday afternoon.

McGuinness, who needs six more victories at the TT to equal the all-time record established by Northern Ireland sporting great Joey Dunlop, said:

“I’m really glad to be staying with Honda to continue the strong relationship we’ve built up in road racing over the years.

“The team is like family to me and it’s important that I have support that I know I can rely on 100 per cent. This year proved that there’s life in the old dog yet, so I can’t wait to get back on the Fireblade and see what we can do,”
added McGuinness.

“It’s great news that Conor will be joining the team. I have a lot of respect for him – he’s young, he’s hungry for it and he has so much passion for racing. It will be a pleasure to be his team-mate.”

Cummins replaces Dunlop in the team, who parted company from Honda earlier this month after a sensational season during which the 24-year-old won four TT races in a week to equal the feat of fellow countryman Phillip McCallen, who seized a four-timer in 1996.

Despite his success this year, Dunlop says he may take a year out of the sport after refusing to sign any new deal ‘due to various complications attached to each offer put to me’.

The new Honda team replaces the TT Legends squad, which competed in the international road races and the Endurance World Championship for the past three years.

The roads outfit will continue to be run from Honda’s base at Louth in Lincolnshire under the management of Neil Tuxworth.

Honda is set to announce its plans for the Endurance World Championship soon.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
25-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Website Find Reply