Guy Martin to honour Britten in Whanganui
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Guy Martin to honour Britten in Whanganui
[Image: guymartinsmile.jpg]

Next Thursday's Whanganui street race will feature one of the world's best known riders, Guy Martin.

It's the Brit's second visit to the cemetery circuit, and while he's looking for success on the streets, his dream is to ride New Zealand's own Britten superbike.

The Isle of Man TT is one of motorsport's most iconic races. Held on what is the world's oldest and most dangerous circuit, 240 riders have been killed since racing started. Countless others have had narrow escapes. One of those is Martin.

"I just love the danger," he says.

He loves it, but so far Martin has been unable to conquer the TT. But 13 podium finishes have made him a crowd favourite.

But it was the 2010 documentary on the race that turned the Lincolnshire truck mechanic into one the world's best-known riders.

"They ring me up and say, 'Can we come and film your preparations?' I say, 'I don't do any; I just go to work.' They thought I was having 'em on, so they came to film me at work and I was working for Dad."

His laidback manner turned Martin into an unlikely celebrity.

A hot date is racing at Moto GP legend Valentino Rossi's own track.

"I ride flat track with him," says Martin. "I've met a lot of interesting people. And I get to come to New Zealand at Christmas. That's all on the back of road racing."

Martin is no stranger to the streets of Whanganui. He raced the cemetery circuit in 2005 – the uncompromising public roads reminding him of the Ulster races.

"You're just racing on cart tracks, cow s**t everywhere. That is mad. So to do that, come here and race at the cemetery circuit, I did it in 2005 and it's similar to what goes on in Ireland. It's miserable at home right now, so to get a chance to come and do a race here on Boxing Day is great."

But more than the streets, he wants to ride a Kiwi bike – the Britten V1000.

"I reckon I'd be John Britten's number one fan," he says. "Britten, from Christchurch wasn't he, the stuff he came out with was – he was a pioneer. That was the early '90s when he built the V-1000 Britten, and some of the ideas are still being used today."

On Boxing Day, Martin will wear a helmet in Britten's famous colours – his tribute to the New Zealander whose bike took on the world 20 years ago.

[Image: 3newsnewzealandlogo.jpg]

By Shaun Summerfield
Sport Reporter

22-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Website Find Reply