Phillip Island Classic - Cam Donald Predicts a Tight Tussle
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Phillip Island Classic - Cam Donald Predicts a Tight Tussle
[Image: philislandclassic2014logo.jpg]

Cam Donald Predicts a Tight Tussle

It’s a scenario that Cameron Donald probably never thought would happen: the chance to take on fellow Isle of Man star John McGuinness on his own turf.

But that’s exactly what will occur when the Tahbilk International Challenge teams’ trophy is held at the 2014 Australian Motorcycle News International Island Classic in Phillip Island next weekend (Jan 24-26).

It has been a one-way street for Australia since the International Challenge first kicked off in 2008, but the Melbourne-bred Donald believes the addition of his Isle of Man sparring partner to the UK team, as well as a revised scoring system, does present some alarm bells for the locals.

“I won’t underestimate John because he’s a great rider and has been doing lots of short circuit racing over the last few years in world endurance events, so racing at Phillip Island isn’t going to be such a surprise for him,” said Donald, who will race a Suzuki XR69 in the International Challenge.

“We’ve had some great battles, but it will be good to take on John in my own backyard for a change. But it’s not only the competition I thrive on: I also enjoy catching up with the overseas guys, who are all great mates.”

McGuinness joins Jeremy McWilliams and Ryan Farquhar in the UK team, with only the top five point scorers from each country counting towards team totals – last year it was the top 10 riders.

“John is definitely going to make it a lot harder for Australia to win. McWilliams is also brilliant and Farquhar is an exceptional rider as well.

“Saying all that, I still believe the Aussies will come out on top again, as we still won easily in 2013 even with a lot of mechanical problems taking out riders like Steve Martin.

“But there’s one guarantee: the pace will be red-hot, and I know I’ll be exhausted come Sunday afternoon.”

McGuinness will be making his first appearance at Phillip Island, having been forced to sit out the Australian round of the world supersport title in 2002 with injury when he was a full-time campaigner. Since then his career has blossomed, particular on the heart-in-mouth Isle of Man circuit, where he has 20 TT victories to his name. In one of those – the Senior TT in 2008 – McGuinness was gifted victory after the blindingly fast Donald ran into mechanical problems.

[Image: CamDonaldmanxnorton.jpg]
Cameron on the Manx Norton

At the 2013 Island Classic, Donald was awarded the Phil Irving Memorial Trophy for the highest individual point-scorer across the weekend (in races outside of the International Challenge) on his 1962 model Manx Norton. In 2014, he’ll try and retain it, but will be aboard a John Trease-fettled 1959 Harley-Davidson instead of the Manx Norton.

16-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Website Find Reply