Action resumes at the Brickyard for Smith and Espargaro
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Action resumes at the Brickyard for Smith and Espargaro
[Image: tech3greenhdr.jpg]

The Monster Yamaha Tech3 riders completed the opening day of practice after the midsummer break in a positive fashion at the newly resurfaced 4170 metre Indianapolis circuit for the tenth round of the 2014 World Championship.

Despite the mixed weather conditions following rain overnight, British star Bradley Smith kicked off proceedings in a highly competitive manner by completing the opening practice session with a superb run to 2nd position aboard the Yamaha YZR-M1. His best lap time of 1’34.569 was only 0.034 from the leading bike of Factory Yamaha rider Valentino Rossi, with the recent modifications to the track increasing the overall pace to over six seconds compared to last year's lap record. The 23 year old completed FP2 in 10th with a lap time of 1’33.621. His performance was only 0.200 from the third placed rider, with the positive aspects noted on the opening day in America, Smith remains fully confident of a successful charge in tomorrow’s qualifying session.

On the opposite side of the Monster Yamaha Tech3 team garage, Pol Espargaro laid down his intent for the second half of his debut season in the premier class, by producing a promising start in the morning session to finish in 4th position with a best time of 1’34,678 and only 0.143 from the leader. Later in the day, the 23-year-old rider proceeded to push harder and further improve his lap time impressively by a full second. The reigning Moto2 world champion completed the session with a best lap of 1’33.690 seizing 11th and only three tenths of a second from the front row. This positive start sees him geared up and ready for tomorrow’s qualifying session in view to the 27 lap sprint around the legendary American race track on Sunday.

Bradley Smith - Position : 10th Time : 1'33.621 Laps : 22

"It was great to return from the summer break with such a quick pace this morning and it’s certainly what we needed. We made the right choice and started on a soft tyre, before switching to a hard compound at the end of the first session. My feeling was good on the hard, so I began a long run which I continued this afternoon, prior to changing again to a soft one at the final stages of FP2, but there was much more grip than I expected and I couldn't take full advantage of the new rubber. However, I still haven’t made a decision on tyres for the race as the grip levels will certainly change. In any case the modifications to the circuit are really good and it’s much better for us to ride on, but the only down side is that some of the passing opportunities are reduced due to the circuit being much faster. With regards to this afternoon, I am only 0.2 from the fastest Yamaha and very close to the front row. The team did a great job plus I am really happy to be back with the bike feeling as good as ever. It’s a long way until the race on Sunday, but my tactic is to continue the positive start today, be quick in qualifying and make no mistakes in the race"

Pol Espargaro - Position : 11th - Time : 1'33.690 Laps : 20

"I am happy with today’s performance as although I finished lower than I wanted to be in the standings, I was only 0.3 of a second from the front row and Jorge who was the fastest Yamaha. Also I am especially pleased with the track improvements. The modifications of the corners definitely helps us to turn better which really adds to the enjoyment of riding this circuit plus the grip levels have obviously improved a lot. I tried the hard compound this morning which was really positive and then later today I rode on the soft. At the moment, I am still unsure on the best compound to use but we need to work a little on the rear section of the bike as I am sliding a lot when entering the corner. In addition, I definitely need to work on adjusting my riding style more. Overall, I am happy with my final lap time so tomorrow we will work harder and continue to move forward"

09-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Website Find Reply