TYCO BSB DUO WATERS & HOPKINS IN THE BALLPARK AT CADWELL PARK
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TYCO BSB DUO WATERS & HOPKINS IN THE BALLPARK AT CADWELL PARK
[Image: tycotashdr1.jpg]

Josh Waters continued his progress in this season’s British Superbike Championship with Tyco Suzuki, taking a second row grid spot for tomorrow’s opening race at Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire. His battered a bruised team-mate John Hopkins should also be commended for taking eighth place and a third row grid placing on his first visit to Cadwell Park.

Hopkins rode through the pain barrier having fractured his left foot in three places at Oulton Park just two weeks’ ago; also damaging a metal plate in the same foot in the second race incident.

[Image: joshwatersatcadwell1.jpg]

Waters said after his second row qualifying effort:

“If I was to pick a track day anywhere in the world to ride, I wouldn’t pick Cadwell,” smiled the Aussie. “But we have made progress and the track certainly suits the Suzuki chassis. I had a big moment over the Mountain during one of the sessions so I’ll not be looking to jump it like Brookesy, but I’m enjoying the weekend and I’m up for it tomorrow.”

John Hopkins said of his qualifying:

“I’ve only ever ridden Cadwell at a track day back in 2011, but yeah I’ve been chipping away and taking chunks of time off in each session. It’s frustrating because I think this is one of the tracks that will really suit the Tyco Suzuki, but having three fractures in my left foot and bent a metal place that I had inserted a few years ago, doesn’t make it easy round a track like this with so many changes of direction. But we will give it a go and look forward to four tracks coming up that I know really well and feel I can make a big impact at.”

Taylor Mackenzie put in a big effort after mechanical problems forced him to start from the back of the grid in today’s Supersport sprint race. The Scottish rider pulled himself into the points finishing 14th. He will start tomorrow’s second race on row six.

Philip Neill – Team Manager:

“An encouraging day all round despite a few problems: John battled through the pain barrier and a third row at a track he is unfamiliar with, riding with a broken foot, is a big effort. Josh is starting to find his feet in BSB and it’s showing on track, so hopefully he too can build on that tomorrow and top six is the target on the Tyco Suzuki GSX-R1000. Taylor had the misfortune to miss a session but showed grit today to score points. His grid position isn’t ideal for tomorrow but I’m sure he will give a good account of himself.”

British Superbike Championship, Cadwell Park Qualifying:

1. Shane Byrne (Kawasaki) 1m:26.017s
2. Ryuichi Kiyonari (BMW) +0.904s
3. Tommy Bridewell (Yamaha) +1.664s
4. Chris Walker (Kawasaki) +1.700s
5. Peter Hickman (Honda) +1.754s
6. Josh Waters (Tyco Suzuki) +1.960s
7. Jon Kirkham (Kawasaki) +1.978s
8. John Hopkins (Tyco Suzuki) +2.037s
9. Dan Linfoot (Kawasaki) +2.197s
10. Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha)

25-08-2014, 10:57 AM