Alastair Seeley ‘has options’ to return to British Superbikes in 2015
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Alastair Seeley ‘has options’ to return to British Superbikes in 2015
[Image: seeleyonmartrainyam.jpg]

Alastair Seeley hasn’t ruled out a return to the MCE British Superbike Championship as the Ulster rider mulls over his options for 2015.

Seeley’s current team, Mar-Train Racing, is taking a sabbatical from the British Supersport series next year to focus on the international road races, leaving the Carrick rider on the lookout for a new employer.

The 35-year-old, who hasn’t yet thrown in the towel in his bid to retain the Supersport tile for Tim Martin’s team at the final round of the championship at the Brands Hatch GP track in Kent this weekend, already has several offers on the table.

The two-time British champion has also been in contact with former team Tyco Suzuki but said ‘nothing concrete’ had so far come of his discussions with team principal Phillip Neill.

However, he does have the opportunity of a return to BSB or the National Superstock 1000 Championship and Seeley is keeping an open mind over the possibilities available to him next season.

“To me at this stage a salary is important and it’s nice to be getting paid for what you love doing and if that can continue then that’s what I need to be looking at,” Seeley told the News Letter.

“I probably would consider switching back to Superbikes again; I don’t like to stay in the same class for too long and if we could manage to win the Supersport title this year it would definitely be a case of moving on to something else. If the package was right then I would definitely move to Superbikes - I know how to ride a Superbike.

“In 2010 we had a great year [in British Superbikes] but in 2012 we didn’t; there were a few issues that year and obviously if the situation arose again you would rectify them and try and have a good year and get into the Showdown again, like we managed in 2010.

“At the moment I have offers of rides in BSB and British Superstock, but I like the Supersport class too. It’s about making a decision based on what the best package is available to me.”

On the prospect of a return to former team TAS Racing, Seeley added: “We’ve had talks at the minute but nothing concrete and that’s as far as it went.”

Seeley is 34 points behind Smiths Triumph rider Billy McConnell ahead of this weekend’s final two races at Brands and is aiming to chalk up a brace of wins to give himself the best possible opportunity of snatching the title should McConnell or his team-mate Graeme Gowland fluff their lines.

The former British Supersport and Superstock 1000 champion remains as hungry as ever for success and believes he still has plenty left in the tank, a fact borne out by his seven Supersport victories this season – the most by any rider in the class.

“The hunger is still there and I wouldn’t be putting the effort into training if I wasn’t hungry to do well,” Seeley said.

“The birthdays are kicking on now and I was 35 earlier this month, but I don’t feel like I’m 35.”

Seeley is among the headline names at the Sunflower Trophy meeting on October 24/25, when he is set to go head to head with fellow Carrick man Glenn Irwin (Gearlink Kawasaki) in the Supersport class at Bihopscourt.

The line-up also includes Bradford’s Dean Harrison, British Superstock 1000 champion Danny Buchan, Gearlink Kawasaki’s Luke Hedger and Ben Wilson and Jordanstown lad Andy Reid.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
13-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Website Find Reply