Thompson celebrates Top Ten at Macau
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Thompson celebrates Top Ten at Macau
[Image: penz13logo.jpg]

British Road Racer Stephen Thompson celebrated a Top Ten finish at today’s 48th Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix. On his Team Penz13.com BMW Motorrad S 1000 RR machinery he took the chequered flag on tenth position. Team mate Steve Mercer had to pull aside with one and a half laps to go due to a technical problem. Newcomer Dan Kruger took the flag on 20th position.

Stephen Thompson got tenth in today’s 48th Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix. The Brit accomplished his target of the top ten therewith but was a bit unsatisfied afterwards due to missing the start slightly. He lost only about four seconds on the duo in front of him, fighting for P8.

Steve Mercer was up in a fight for seventh with TT legend John McGuinness entering the last but one lap. He was studying his fellow British compatriots for a couple of laps and noticed he could go a slightly quicker pace than him on the mountain section of the Guia Circuit at Macau. Mercer planned to pull his final attack on the approach of the Lisboa bend in the last lap but had to pull aside beforehand due to a technical issue.

Strong first Macau appearance for Dan Kruger. The Canadian rider, who took part in a couple of Real Road Races for the Penz13.com Racing Team this year, was using his own motorbike from the Chinese Superbike Championship under the Penz-banner at his first Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix. Saturday’s race brought further improvement for Kruger, going almost two seconds quicker on his fastest race lap than in Qualifying. He took home 20th spot.

The race win went to Stuart Easton in front of Michael Rutter and today’s best BMW S 1000 RR rider, Martin Jessopp.

Stephen Thompso- P10:

It was good, kind of bad start, because the lights went out pretty quick. In a way not too bad, but I was a bit too careful in the first corner and a couple of guys went through. After the first lap I just got my head down, but we had a little problem with the suspension, it was awkward. With 3, 4 laps in, I saw on the screen some crashes so I remind myself to be careful. Another guy passed me an I followed him and made up some spots. Happy enough.

Steve Mercer - DNF:

It was going really, really well. I was on a good run with McGuinness and think was looking quite strong, actually. It was a good race, it was quick from the start line. I knew I could not make a pass on him too early, because he would go back in front of me straight afterwards. I wanted to tuck behind him until the last lap and then try and go for it at the Lisboa and then pull a gap through the mountains. Hopefully that would have been enough. Unfortunately we didn’t get that far, because with the second but last lap the bike broke down going down to Lisboa so it ended prematurely. I had a good pace and it’s just frustrating. The bike has been amazing, the 2015 BMW S 1000 RR is real, real strong bike and I felt that we didn’t, sort of, get the result, that we deserved. It wasn’t meant to be but there is always a next year and we are going to have another go then.

[Image: penzteamatmacau2015.jpg]

Dan Kruger - P20:

Not bad for a Newcomer, ey? If you ask me I would love to go out again straight ahead and do another 10 laps. I was having so much fun out there, it’s just been amazing. Now I am not a Macau virgin anymore. Honestly, that was a great fun and I’d love to come back again next year and look for further improvements.

Rico Penzkofer - Team Principal:

First of all I am satisfied and happy that no one crashed. Dan did a very good job as a newcomer, went down to 37s in the race and got a 20th home. I think that’s more than good. Stephen did what we expected more or less. He was in the Top Ten or round about in the practices and the race. Unfortunately Steve broke down with one and a half lap to go and we don’t know yet why. That’s upsetting. But no one got hurt, also in the other crashes, and that’s the main thing. Next year our target will be to field at least on Top Five rider again. We also need to find out what caused the problem on Steve’s bike, what is a bit annoying as he was fighting with John McGuinness for seventh and for sure was going to try a move. But, yeah, anyways, all are healthy, all are back. We are now having a beer, all is good.

17-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Website Find Reply