Glenn Irwin targets rostrum assault on NW200 bow
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Glenn Irwin targets rostrum assault on NW200 bow
[Image: irwin&wilsonnwpromo1.jpg]
Gearlink Kawasakis' Glenn Irwin will be aiming for nothing less than race wins at next years
Vauxhall International North West 200 after confirming his debut at the event

Irwin, who made his roads bow at the Metzeler Ulster Grand Prix in August, setting a lap record for the Supertwin class on Robbie Silvester’s Kawasaki ER6, will be joined at the seaside meeting in May by fellow British Supersport star Ben Wilson, who will also be making his maiden appearance at the 8.9-mile Triangle course.

“I want to ride the North West and be competitive,” said Irwin, who made his mark in the British Supersport Championship this year, taking five wins on his way to fourth place in the final standings.

“I did the ‘Ulster’ on a bike that I hadn’t ridden before against the big names and got a lap record, so why can’t I do it at the North West?

“In the 600cc class I will be on a bike I know and hopefully by the time the North West comes around I will have had some British championship wins under my belt,” added the 24-year-old, whose father Alan was a star name on the roads and short circuits in the ’80s and ’90s.

“I like the format with Thursday and Saturday racing as it gives me time to suss things out,” he said. “I just need to pick my dad’s brains to make sure that I am competitive.

“The roads guys know their game and we know ours. I had a really good battle with Keith Amor at the Ulster and I have a lot of respect for all of them, but I won’t feel threatened,”
Irwin added.

“I just want to enjoy it because I never thought I would get the chance to race against legends like Keith and Ryan Farquhar.”

Wilson, meanwhile - who stepped up to the MCE British Superbike Championship this season but failed to make an impact on the ZX-10R - will also compete in the Supersport and Supertwin classes at the North West.

“I saw the track in 2013 when I was at the North West as Alastair Seeley’s team-mate and I just fancy a go at it now,” Wilson said.

“I think the time is right now to have a go on the roads; I am the right age. I have to start somewhere and this is the biggest road race there is so it’s the one to do.”

Wilson, who narrowly lost out on the Supersport crown in 2011 following a season-long battle with Seeley, has switched back to the 600cc class for 2015 and is expected to be a major challenger for the championship once again.

The pair were guided around the circuit by eight-times winner Steve Plater, who is the Rider Liaison officer at the North West 200.

“They have been soaking up everything that we have been talking about and they are fully aware that you can’t run before you walk,” Plater said.

“Glenn and Ben are at the very top of their game in the British Supersport championship and it is mega for the event to have two of the frontrunners in that series racing at the North West.”

Meanwhile, Mullingar man Derek McGee has been strongly linked with a move to Wilson Craig Racing in 2015.

McGee made solid progress this season and has developed into one of the key names at the Irish national road races.

Craig was left without a rider after Ballyclare’s Jamie Hamilton opted to switch to former racer John Burrows’ B.E. Racing team, taking over from Manxman Dan Kneen, who signed a deal with the new-look Millsport Suzuki outfit for the national and international road races next year plus the Adelaide Masters Series.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
03-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Website Find Reply