Norton revive Dominator name with new model
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Norton revive Dominator name with new model
[Image: newdominator1.jpg]

Iconic British motorcycle manufacturer Norton has today revealed details of a road going version of the sold-out, limited edition Domiracer they unveiled 18 months ago.

While the original £24,000 café racer could be prepped for road use for an extra fee, the new Dominator will roll out of the firm’s Donington Hall factory ready to hit the road from the off.  

“The Domiracer worked so well we had to do something more with it”, explained Norton’s design guru and ex-Triumph man Simon Skinner. “We felt it was important to retain the stance and overall style of the bike but have taken off some of the detail and jewellery found on the Domiracer to make the Dominator more production friendly.”

The Dominator bears a striking resemblance to its sibling with very few differences immediately noticeable. It’s powered by the same 961cc twin cylinder motor found in the rest of Norton’s range and will feature full Ohlins suspension and brembo monobloc calipers as standard.

[Image: newdominator2.jpg]

The most obvious difference is the rotation moulded, painted tank in place of the hand-made aluminium version found on the Domiracer. Other changes include the addition of a flyscreen, a more conventional upside down front mudguard and slightly different side panels.

While the straight-through pipes featured on the Domiracer won’t come as standard, they will be available as an after-market extra and if you’ve ever heard the unsilenced roar of Norton’s twin cylinder motor, you’ll not think twice about this whatever the cost.

“The Domiracer was so ridiculously handmade”, added Skinner. “Even with all the resource we have, we were only able to produce three or four a week as they are just so labour intensive. The aim of the Dominator is to be more production friendly while retaining the same style.”

Norton will also produce a Super Sport version of the Dominator, called the ‘SS’, which will be limited to a run of 100 globally, with 50 of these being sold in the UK. The SS will be ‘privately previewed’ at Donington Hall early next year.

The standard Dominator will be priced at £19,950 and is expected to enter production at some point next year.
10-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Website Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Norton revive Dominator name with new model
Its a bit of a shame for the people who bought the domiracer. Huh

kilbil 
21-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
I still think the old Dominators looked nicer ! but I am biased.

[Image: 15941659610_3212aed339_z.jpg]
28-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
I had a Norton 650SS and and Atlas. Still think the best looking bikes I ever had.
28-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Have to say I am on your side there Dommy even though I was a Triumph man in those days , to me the new one just looks as if they ran out of money as they got to the back of the bike , but then when you look at new bikes now a days I find my self thinking where are they coming from with this or that or what ever
you look at the adventure touring bikes on the market take the Trump Tiger , if you are in the market for a adventure touring bike , what are you looking at doing with it ?? TOURING if you are Touring in theses modern times what is the first thing you are going to be looking for ?? yes a set of luggage , then what do you find ? a exhaust can that would look more suitable stuck up the back of a Scania than on the side of a bike , and what does the salesman say " what's your problem the first thing you're going to change when you buy one is the exhaust " ?? " only because your design staff are dickheads , and haven't a clue what they are doing " says me , they did not like me being in the shop wonder why ?? lol

29-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Find Reply