Steve "Hizzy" Hislop *PIC*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steve "Hizzy" Hislop *PIC*
I am just so down at hearing about this news, about one of my hero's. A racer through and through who gave everything at all times and was admired not only by myself, but by so many others.

How tragic for him to die in this way, after having survived the dangers of the sport that he loved.

The last year was not so good for Steve. Sacked, bikes that did not "fit" with his style, then given his old bikes back again to have a go for the rest of the season and prove that he was as good as anybody out there and then for this to happen. It all seems so unjust somehow.

Hizzy, you will always have a place in my heart, and on my wall. TT triples, how many can achieve that - only the greats and he was one of them.

Rest in Peace

Heartbroken,

Malcolm.

[Image: interviewspicturesstevehislopstevehislop04.jpg]
31-07-2003, 12:11 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Hizzy" - My Tribute. (Updated) *PIC*
I am pleased to have had Steve as a personal friend for over 15 years and I, like all of you, am having a very bad day..

The picture is from Steves book launch on the Island LESS than two months ago, and I feel this pic IS Steve. He signed my copy of the book personally, I will treasure it .............

Anybody remotely interested in motorcycling and motorcycle racing will now, like me, be mourning the passing of eleven-times TT winner and twice Superbikes Champion, Scotsman Steve "Hizzy" Hislop who died yesterday (30/7/03), not on the race circuit but in the pursuance of his newest hobby, that of flying helicopters.......

I first met Steve more than fifteen years ago and have followed his career through the good times and through the bad times..As a freelance in 1989 I was pleased to work with him
and was able to spend time with him in the Honda camp...As a consequence we became good friends and since then have met up at various race meetings and at shows for a chat...

It was in 1989 during Thursdays practice when I was photographing riders from behind the wall on the bend just before Kates that I took a super picture of him coming directly at the camera....After practice he came over to me and said "I saw you up at Kates this afternoon, taking my picture".....Now Steve must have been doing a fair lick through that point yet he picked me out...Since then we often laughed about it and it became a part of my TT chats with people.

I last saw him in the West Coast Cafe under the Hilton when he came to sign his book for the fans who came to see him.....We chatted for a long time and I feel that he and I could chat properly because he was able to trust me...He was quite a shy person and had to know someone very well before he let them into his immediate circle.

Frankly, I will miss him terribly, yet have some great memories of him both on and off the race track. I hope to construct my own dedication to him soon...

We won't forget the date !!!! ( 30-7-03)

Ian Huntly (TTFAN for 55 years)

[Image: hizzy1.jpg]
31-07-2003, 02:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: "Hizzy"
He was really nervous that night. There was more fear for Steven in meeting lots of people he didn't know than in racing. He would have been delighted to see you, a friendly face he knew.
31-07-2003, 03:28 PM