Please read!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please read!
Ok folks the board is full of Messages Re Steve Hislop! That shows how much he was loved as a Racer/person! I would like to ask everyone to tell me what was there best memory of the man? My best amongst others was 1992 TT everyone knows what he was up against! And what did he do? Showed them all! He gave his all, and then some more! What is your favourite memories? I feel this will help some, RIP Steve Hislop 1962-2003 Champion! Regards John Leech
31-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Please read!
I have a memory of a very young Steven Hislop, gofer to the guys in a garage at the back of the Sefton, including Willie Simson. He ran messages, fetched the Chinese takeaway lunch, and worked on the bikes. In those days he was a wee bit quiet with the guys.
My daughter's favourite memory would be when she was about 6 or 7 and he must have been in his late teens. Steven was double jointed, and could walk along with his feet pointing out sideways. She would be convulsed with laughter.
Many years later, we met him in Strand Street one MGP week, and after a couple of minutes chatting, people began to spot him and come over. He got a bit shy and arranged to meet elsewhere. Mary was stunned..."Mum," she said "He's really famous!" Never having seen him in a crowd situation, she had seen no change in him from those early days, and hadn't really associated the TT star with "her" Steven! He never did become enthused about the fame thing. A REAL star!
31-07-2003, 03:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Best memories
TT1992 RVF Honda spoke to him last week was the RVF that good.Yes
1998 Ramsey sprint on a R1
I have laod more but they stand out the best/

31-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

In 1987, after winning his first TT, the Celtic Match Races took place at Jurby Airfield. Steve rode for the Scots on the same TZ 350 and did very well against much bigger four-strokes.

At the presentation on the Sunday evening at the old Crescent Hotel (now Paramount City) Steve scooped plenty of awards. I'll never forget the standing ovation he received as the young TT star who wasn't too big to support such an event.
31-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think my best memory of steve was after a charity auction at Aulton Park, he was walking back to his hire car after the auction and I shouted out to him tht a biker shouldnt be driving a Volvo, He came over, sat on a wheelie bin and had a coffee and a chat for over 30 mins, just one of the boys and a truly nice bloke. the other time was a certain Norton in the 92 TT.
He was my alltime hero and will be sorely missed.

John
31-07-2003, 10:31 PM