Kiyonari – bruised, but bang on the pace ahead of Donington Park
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Kiyonari – bruised, but bang on the pace ahead of Donington Park
[Image: kiyodonnytest.jpg]

Ryuichi Kiyonari left the official test at Donington Park yesterday (Thursday) bruised following a huge high-side at Redgate, but after missing out on a fourth MCE British Superbike Championship title last season has vowed to come back stronger for the opening races next weekend (4/5/6 April).

Kiyonari had been straight on the pace during the official test despite having less pre-season testing than the majority of his on track rivals who had headed to Spain earlier this month. The Japanese ace, who narrowly missed out on a record-breaking fourth title to Shane Byrne last season, was heading the pack towards the end of the final session, when he suffered a bruising crash but still third on the timesheets.

As the double Donington Park victor in 2014, Kiyonari admits the crash has not dented his pre-season confidence, but has made him more determined to come back next weekend for the opening races to pack his first punch of the season.

Kiyonari said:

"I didn't ride in the first two sessions as it was wet, but in the last session I went straight out and get some laps in and it felt really good. This was only the third time riding the bike this year, it wasn't very fast, but I think this was because of the conditions as it was cold and windy. I am very happy with how we finished because this was only our third test. I didn't expect to be there in the results - I was a little worried because we hadn't tested on a big BSB circuit for a proper test before yesterday.

"I was a little nervous to start but once we had started the laps were coming better and I wasn't thinking about anyone else, I was just concentrating on myself and improving. We have been testing the different set-ups and I was trying, but I think I did a little too much trying! It was a big mistake to crash with a big high-side which was painful. I was disappointed as it was a big test for us, especially as round one is at the same track next weekend. I felt sore afterwards, but I will still be pushing hard next weekend and I am feeling confident!

"I think Donington Park is a good place to start the championship for me, the team and BMW as we had a double win there last year. Before my crash my lap time was improving and I think we can have some good results. Last year it was a new team, a new bike and a new challenge, but this year it is very important to start stronger. We have information from last year and we need to get more wins and finishes at the start of the season, because last year we had some races where we didn't score points. We need to always improve - we will be trying everything and we will keep pushing harder!"

Watch Kiyonari's testing crash here

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, official test, Donington Park:

Shane Byrne (PBM Kawasaki) 1m:31.145
Danny Buchan (Be Wiser Kawasaki) +0.222s
Ryuichi Kiyonari (Buildbase BMW) +0230s
Jakub Smrz (Lloyds British Ducati) +0.243s
Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) +0.284s
James Ellison (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.303s
Stuart Easton (PBM Kawasaki) +0.318s
Richard Cooper (Anvil Hire TAG Kawasaki) +0.380s
Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha) +0.680s
Tommy Bridewell (Tyco BMW) +0.890s