TT course will be a no-drone zone this year
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TT course will be a no-drone zone this year
[Image: drone1.jpg]

Visitors to the TT this year will be warned against the use of unmanned aircraft, or so-called drones, over the TT course.

With the increasing popularity of drones – used in recent years for matters as diverse as aerial photography and surveying of buildings – organisers of the annual event in June are concerned about the possible hazards of spectators using drones for aerial photography.

Ramsey MHK Leonard Singer said he had raised the matter with organisers.

‘I was concerned about people flying them over the TT course perhaps following riders and I had a letter back from the organisers saying they were aware of the potential problem but it was actually illegal to do so,’ he said.

‘They said they wanted to address the issue before they were forced to do so by some sort of incident.

‘So I have now asked them to put out a clear message before TT this year telling the public that it is not allowed.’

In fact, he said latest legislation now in place would prohibit the use of unmanned aircraft within 50 metres of the TT course and  also impose a fine of up to £2,500 for any contravention.

In support of the move a poster is to be used to drive the message home, depicting an unmanned craft with a cross through it and a reminder of the maximum fine.

Southern 100 organisers have this year also reminded all accredited photographers that drones are not permitted near the Billown course citing its proximity to Ronaldsway airport as the reason.

[Image: iomtodaynewlogo.jpg]
John Turner
07-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: TT course will be a no-drone zone this year
I thought North One would start using them this year for footage from angles that we had not seen before, but if it has been made illegal to use them, then they will not be able to do so.
There would have been some good potential Paddock fotage as well with them, but the 50mts rule prevents that as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
07-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
They aren't the most reliable of flying machines either - have a habit of losing or interfered signal if anything else is on the same transmitter frequency and the cheaper models have a habit of losing a motor or breaking a prop with immediate and uncontrollable results
08-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Find Reply
Trident Offline

Threads: 0
You can get some very good video from a lot further away than 50 metres!

And what about being 51 metres directly above the course? I hope the legislation has been properly thought through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n58-MGvu9Go
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 12:21 PM by Trident.)
10-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
Not that I'd feel safe using one near the TT course even if it were allowed, I'd love to get one but the decent ones are too expensive. Depending on position I think you could still get some decent stuff from more than 50 metres away - maybe not commercial, but interesting nonetheless.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
11-05-2015, 03:51 PM
Find Reply