Comparison
Anonymous
Unregistered

Comparison
In 2003 are there enough people out there who have ben to TT 2003 and are at MGP2003 who can give us a true appraisal as to how Junes practice and racing compares with the August similar programme ??

It would be interesting to see how much "closer" the TT has become MGP or vice versa....

Personally, I have attended both, but always "majored" on the TT, however, latterly, I get the impression that the Manx has a different feeling and set up, and is less prone to TT problems.....

Any opinions please ???
19-08-2003, 01:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Comparison
The Manx has ALWAYS had a different feel and atmosphere to the TT, Ian, and is infinitely preferable.

The Manx Club are glad to see the riders and spectators there, the whole affair is non-commercial as compared to the TT, and indeed the whole thing is only just shaded, from an enjoyment point of view, by the Southern 100 boys.

That's not said to the detriment of the Manx Motor Cycle Club, since the Southern boys are the best of the lot!

Having done the Manx from 1978 to 1982, I moved to the TT, but only because I was caught telling untruths about my age. Had this not happened, I NEVER would have left the MGP!!
19-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice one Larry your in good company lot of these road racers tell a lot of lies about there age.

John Williams was a good one, we got stopped by the law boarding the Belfast boat at Liverpool 78 or 79 during the troubles. Plod asked our ages while checking our drivers licences. John obviously not wanting to divulge it in our presence he told a massive porky while plod was studying his drivers licence, so plod hauled him off for further enquiries. He never did tell us his real age.

The best was former Continental Circus rider and T.T. rider from 1948 to 1967 and travelling Marshall Albert Moule

Albert was a great friend of mine from when I was 16, was at his house once and saw a photograph of him as a red coated British officer complete with a white ols police type helmet, leading a troop of turbaned lance carrying Indian cavalry in the Kyber pass or somewhere on the North West frontier taken around 1900.

How do you work that one out if he was still racing in 1967 when the ACU licence holders age limit was 55 which meant he should not have been born until 1912?
20-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many of you will remnember George Paterson, famed for his long black hair and standstill age...have a look at some of the 70/80s Manx programmes to see his age go backwards. I never objected to this as I loved to see George race in the Island, and thought the 40 idea was arrant nonsense anyway (like the rules about no women on bikes or in pits!). However, I did get twitchy when he became younger than me.
Sadly George died a couple of years ago in a racing accident...absolutely nothing to do with his age...and all was revealed. He was 69, and still beating younsters ...just like the ageless Dennis.
Joey was a spring chicken when we lost him, and no doubt he and George are dicing away in heaven right now.
20-08-2003, 02:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aye, I remember George . . . . . . .!!
20-08-2003, 09:19 PM