2003 MGP
Anonymous
Unregistered

2003 MGP
Back from the Manx, with a repaired computer,and hopefully all those viruses wiped off. Sorry to those folk who received E Mails seemingly from me but not actually from me. I wanted to thank those who helped me to ride in this year's Manx.In particular Phil Morris of Morris Holdings, who provided two Molnar Manxes for me to play with. These bikes have more work done to them than the latest offering from Japan Italy or even Britain, and they were smashing to ride.Just because I didn't finish the race doesn't mean that our little team of Tom Dickie and Fred Walmsley didn't do loads of work, it's just so hard for them after the tremendous effort they put in.
I'm sure that someone out there will be able to critisize our efforts, but I was there and I know how hard they worked.Also thanks to Mark Parrett and his old man Geoff for providing shelter and comfort in the paddock. What thoroughly decent people they are,-- and they aren't from Yorkshire!
Just in case anyone wonders what the heck I was doing by riding at the Manx, I was simply doing what I have always enjoyed doing, that is riding around the TT course. It was what all our family going back to Allan Jefferies, my father, who first raced the Manx in 1933, have always enjoyed. It really is a fantastic event, and I loved every minute of it like I did first time there in 1975. It meant a great deal to me to ride this year in particular.
I've read a fair degree of the comments from the marshals, and I would like to sing their praises. I was stopped a few times around the course, and the marshalls were without exception extremely friendly, enthusiastic, and, during incidents like the one I witnessed at the Black Hut on Wednesday's Junior race, extremely capable and professional. ( Great place to watch the right hander before Black Hut)
When I was stopped at Handleys'during pracice and at Kirkmichael during the race, out came the coffee, a warm rug, and a welcome. The Marshalls are right, if we are not careful the future of both events will be jeapordised by the lack of capable Marshalls, and I for one will lend my support rather than see the situation grow any more serious.
It was interesting watching when a serious incident occurred, the Marshalls take a fair risk when they stand in the road with bikes flying past. I know the riders had slowed down but they still seemed quick. To be honest I've been criticised in the past for not slowing down, I know I always have, it just doesn't look that way when you're stood still!
Given the sad incident at the TT I wouldn't be at all surprised if some Marshalls had declared their unease at the thought of Jim Moodie riding the TT again, after all he does'nt seem to take any notice of flag signals, so I for one am quite pleased that he ain't going back. Jim has always taken more from the sport than he has put back in,( I could give you several examples)and I would like to see the money that would have gone to him redistributed throughout the field. We must look to the future of the event with new names,(maybe my mate Ian Hutchinson would be a good name to start with without wanting to put any pressure on him).
I was sad that Ian Duffus has retired, albeit probably a sensible decision. I have always had the highest regard for Ian, and I wish him well in his retirement. I shall encourage him to ride the Classic Manx when I next speak to him.
Sorry to rattle (not a word to use with a Manx Norton in the garage!)on a bit,I just had a few odds and ends to get off my chest.I never thanked Andy Molnar for all his hard work,and I should have.
With one sad exception it was a super Manx,I'm sure it seemed busier than last time I rode, long may it continue.
05-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 2003 MGP
Nick, I was the guy who ended up chatting to you in the paddock the morning after the Senior Classic (Ballig Heriocs...) its great to see how many were interested and to listen to you describing the close call just as any club rider would brought a fair smile....
All the best and trust your there for MGP2004
05-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glad you enjoyed the Manx GP it was good to see you enjoying yourself. Hope to see you there again
next year, perhaps between us we'll both have
better luck !

See you on the board again soon.
05-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great to see you back out, Nick.

Now you've started again, you'll have to keep it going, won't you?!!
05-09-2003, 11:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

vindicated at last
well now i feel vindicated at last for my comments
It is just a pity that the last 2 weeks press has not been on here namely
Scrutiners reply
TTMA reply
but i guess you dont want to hear that do you ?
to stifle and remove postings does not help the sport
06-09-2003, 01:42 AM