how about this one?
Anonymous
Unregistered

how about this one?
On speaking to my father regards many topics recently he mentioned more or less names that had already been brought up! One rider he did say was good was a "Bobby Steele" excuse my ignorance folks but who was he? Did he do the Isle of man? was he champion? cheers John
13-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: how about this one?
John, you should be absoultely ashamed of yourself.
Bob Steele was one the greatest Scottish riders of his, and your Dad's time. Ask Alan D...he was concurrent with Big Jock Findlay, and was Scottish champion many times.
Wee Bob was a star, and game for a go at anything, including a lot of sidecar passengering, mainly with John Graham or Crawford Martindale.
Bob was tough as old boots. I remember when I was taking photographs trackside at the Knockhill hairpin and Bob came off heavily. He had clearly broken his collarbone, and when I asked how he felt he replied, "bit jaggy, ken, bit jaggy!" (translation on application!)
Another time, at Kirkcaldy, Martin Poole and myself were at the Gardeners Cottage at Kirkcaldy, no marshalls about. Bob fell off on an early lap. He seemed a bit shaken and we tried to persuade him not to go on..off he went, only to fall again a few laps later. Once more he remounted and went on to win. Afterwards he swore he could only remember coming off once.
Sadly, Bobby died of cancer many years ago. Still miss his cheery, breezy prescence, but he and big Jock are no doubt fairing bashing in the heavenly GP as we speak.
13-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Strange but true, we saw a painting of Bob Steele this summer on holiday in the lake district at a museum on a large estate called Howker Hall ? Well worth a visit, they also displayed bikes belonging to Barry Sheene and Joey Dunlop. Yes he was a scottish legend was Bob Steele.
cheers,
Stella
14-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I could do with a contact for any of Bobby's relatives, with regard to the KDMC history book. Can anyone pass on my E mail or phone number and ask that they get in touch?
What relation was Burton Steele, cousin?
14-09-2003, 10:00 PM