ILR - Thruxton Report
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
ILR - Thruxton Report
[Image: lougherplainlogo.jpg]

Thruxton was the latest stop for Team ILR as the seventh round of the Hel Motostar British Championship took place on one of the fastest circuits in the series.

It was another eventful weekend in one of the most competitive of classes, with the whole team called into action as early as the sixth lap of Free Practice to deal with an engine piston problem with Vasco van der Valk's bike.

Joe Thomas meanwhile also crashed on the last lap of the session which stretched the team to the limit.

Despite the early drama, van der Valk and Thomas displayed a calmness and maturity beyond their young age to bounce back and finish first qualifying in 11th and 12th respectively.

Vasco would improve in the second session by almost a second and a half to finish 9th overall, whilst Joe was slightly slower in the session to drop him three places to 15th.

The first race was a frantic affair with both Team ILR riders involved in a race-long scrap with six other riders for 7th place which went right to the flag.

With determination in abundance, particularly in the closing stages of the race, both lads rode brilliantly with Vasco clinching an excellent 11th on the last lap and Joe marginally behind him and in the points in 13th.

Race two saw Joe ride a lonely race to again finish in the points in 14th, but for Vasco it was a similar pattern to the first race as he became involved in a five rider battle for 9th.

He eventually finished 12th, but it was so close that it could so easily have been a higher placing.

So another tough, eventful and solid points scoring weekend for the team.
It was good to see Joe back in the mix, especially in the first race, and particularly pleasing was Vasco's continued good form and on a circuit he had never seen before the weekend.

Both riders now have a three week break before the next round at Cadwell Park, but the next stop for the team is Dundrod where Horst Saiger makes his eagerly awaited debut appearance for Team ILR at the Ulster Grand Prix.

Ian Lougher Team ILR owner/manager:

''Thruxton was a hard weekend once again, especially after the first free practice session, and tested the team to the max. I was so proud of Matt, Jacko, Asa and Richard when Vasco's engine gave bother and we had to fit the spare motor. Also with Joe crashing on the last lap, they all worked tirelessly to get both bikes ready in time for the first qualifying session.

This year has proved to me what a great bunch of people I have around me to be able to achieve what we do on a small racing budget.

The rest of the weekend was like clockwork however, but the results don't reflect how hard both lads rode and how close they were to bagging a top 6 position.

Every race they are involved in these days involves a massive battle for points, which is a good thing in the long run for their future riding and racecraft."

Vasco van der Valk:

"That was not an easy weekend, but I had lots of fun!
11th and 12th in both races and still points in every race. Thanks to the team and all the sponsors!"

Joe Thomas:

"Good weekend.
I am very happy to get points and positioned. Had a fun battle in the first race, and made some improvements on the bike and I feel prepared for Cadwell. Huge thanks to the team and my sponsors.

[Image: vandervalkthruxton.jpg]
Vasco van der Valk.
Photo: David Johnston Motorsport Photography
05-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Website Find Reply