Bruce Anstey wins disputed Superbike race
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Bruce Anstey wins disputed Superbike race
[Image: ulstergplogo2013.jpg]

New Zealand's Bruce Anstey was declared winner of a controversial Superbike race at the Ulster Grand Prix.

The race was stopped before the last of the seven laps because of a red flag incident on the Dundrod circuit.

The organisers decided the standings at the end of the fourth lap should count as the result which handed the victory to the 46-year-old Anstey.

But this was disputed by runner-up Ian Hutchinson who had been leading at the end of the fifth lap.

"I genuinely feel like I won the race," said the Yorkshire man, 35.

"It could not go back to lap four because that is not two-thirds distance.

"I planned my race to be leading at the first point where a result could be declared in the event of the race being stopped."

The race organisers indicated they could not take the standings after the fifth lap because some riders had not completed it when the red flags went up.

Anstey's victory came two days after he had won the Superbike race at the Dundrod 150.

Earlier on Saturday, Fermanagh's Lee Johnston won the first two events of the seven-race programme.

The 26-year-old from Maguiresbridge landed his maiden UGP victory in the opening Superstock event, beating early race leader Peter Hickman.

Johnston, on an East Coast Racing BMW, beat Ian Hutchinson's 2010 lap record by posting an average of 132.793mph on his final circuit.

He then beat William Dunlop after a thrilling duel in the Supersport event.

Riding a Triumph machine, Johnston achieved another lap record with an average speed of 128.913mph.

Dunlop had to be content with his 12th Ulster GP podium while British Supersport star Glenn Irwin finished in third place.

"It was a great battle with William. He is a big name in the sport so I suppose it shows how far we have come in the last few years," said Johnston , now based in Great Hatfield near Hull.

Cullybackey's Sam Wilson won the lightweight race, with Neil Kernohan in second place. Metzeler Ulster

Grand Prix - Superbike Race One

Bruce Anstey - Honda - 131.309mph av speed
Ian Hutchinson - Kawasaki - 131.255
Lee Johnston - BMW - 131.205
Peter Hickman - BMW -131.167
Conor Cummins - Honda -131.148
William Dunlop - BMW - 130.646

Superstock

Lee Johnston - BMW -131.206mph av speed
Peter Hickman - BMW -131.197
Michael Dunlop - BMW -130.492
William Dunlop - BMW -129.436