WSBK newcomers: Milwaukee BMW
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
WSBK newcomers: Milwaukee BMW
[Image: bmwracinglogo.gif]

Two BMW S 1000 RRs for Brookes and Abraham

A second BMW customer racing team has confirmed it will be joining the Althea BMW Racing Team in the FIM Superbike World Championship (WSBK) in 2016. The team that won the British Superbike Championship, Milwaukee, will field two BMW S 1000 RRs in the Superbike World Championship next season. The men in the saddle for Milwaukee BMW will be reigning BSB champion Josh Brookes and Karel Abraham.

Behind the Milwaukee team is Shaun Muir Racing (SMR). The team was formed in 2002 by former Superbike rider Shaun Muir. It entered the British Superbike series for the first time in 2004, winning the title with Tommy Hill in 2011 and Josh Brookes in 2015.

[Image: shaunmuironbmw1.jpg]

In the pinnacle of motorcycleracing with the RR

The team is now set to join the Superbike World Championship in 2016. When choosing the right bike for the pinnacle of production-based motorcycle racing, the team opted for the BMW S 1000 RR.

Milwaukee BMW is an independent privateer team. BMW Motorrad Motorsport will assist the team with support and technical expertise, and will also supply Milwaukee BMW with engines and electronics. The experts at HP RaceSupport will work with the team throughout the season. The team is responsible for the further development of the bike during the season, and for all sporting and logistical aspects of its involvement in the World Championship.

“As a team, the support and enthusiasm shown by BMW Motorrad Motorsport was hugely confidence-building,” said Muir. “They know exactly what we need to be competitive and the level of backing has made our decision to join them much easier. I am incredibly impressed with the amount of technical support we will have and it bodes well for a great debut season in World Superbikes.”

Back on the World Championship stage

Thirty two-year-old Australian Brookes has already ridden in the Superbike World Championship, in 2006 and 2007. He also made wildcard appearances in Phillip Island and Silverstone in 2010 and 2012. Since 2009, Brookes had raced in the British Superbike Championship, in which he won the title this season.

“I’m excited to be back in World Superbikes and to go there with the same team I won the BSB title with is perfect. I haven’t raced a BMW before, but the bike and factory are proven, and I am certain it will be competitive,” said Brookes. “Having the support of BMW Motorrad Motorsport is crucial to our efforts and having their experts on site with us will be a big help. We will test early in January before heading to Phillip Island and I am looking forward to riding in front of my home fans.”

[Image: joshbrooksonbmw1.jpg]

From MotoGP to Superbike World Championship

Brookes’ new team-mate Abraham is also a big name in international motorcycle racing. The 25-year-old Czech rode in the 125cc class of the World Championship in 2005 and 2006, before racing in the 250cc class and Moto2 from 2007 to 2010. He has raced in MotoGP since 2011. Abraham now switches to the Superbike World Championship, where he will make his debut this coming season.

“Moving to World Superbikes with a team like Milwaukee BMW is hugely exciting,” said Abraham. “It will also be a challenge as I haven’t ridden a Superbike and a lot of the tracks will be new but I am sure that we will be able to get up to speed quickly.”

[Image: karlabrahamonbmw1.jpg]

As such, four BMW S 1000 RRs are now confirmed for the 2016 Superbike World Championship: two to be fielded by Althea BMW Racing and ridden by Jordi Torres and Markus Reiterberger, and the two Milwaukee BMW bikes with Brookes and Abraham.

12-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Website Find Reply