Vote for Neil
Anonymous
Unregistered

Vote for Neil
MAKE NEIL SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR!
25 October 2003

ISLE of Man Online and the Manx Independent are launching a campaign to encourage people to vote World Superbike Champion Neil Hodgson the BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

The Onchan resident dominated the championship with 13 wins and is now set to leave the superbike stage for the MotoGP championship.

The Ducati Fila rider, on board the brand new Ducati 999, had an incredible start to the season with nine straight wins.

Neil was delighted when told of our campaign.

'I feel very proud,' said the 29-year-old, who celebrated the birth of his first child Hollie-Jean with wife Kathryn just days before clinching the world title last month.

He won the championship with five races to spare.

He's hoping a vote for him in the BBC Sports Personality of the Year will give motorcycling the recognition it deserves.

The BBC award is celebrating its 50th anniversary and a live programme will be broadcast on Sunday, December 14, when the Sports Personality of the Year 2003 will be announced.

The WSB season ended on Sunday at Magny Cours, France, where Neil picked up a win, but then crashed out of the second race while chasing team mate Ruben Xaus, who went on the take his seventh win of the year.

'I'm not going to let the last race spoil the season,' said Neil, who instead celebrated fulfilling his dream.

Born in Burnley, Lancashire, Neil, who turns 30 next month, has enjoyed a high profile all season with Digital TV channel Men and Motors following his success with its programme Hodgson Superbiker.

He is also in the running for the BBC Lancashire Sports Personality of the Year award.

Neil is now looking ahead to next season when he will be racing in MotoGP for Ducati.

He rates the field he will be competing against, especially reigning world champion Valentino Rossi.

At just 24 years of age, Rossi has dominated the top class of the sport with three straight championships, and is also a former 125cc and 250cc world champion.

'He's the best there's ever been,' says Neil.

'The prospect of being able to dice with him is exciting.'

Tourism and Leisure Minister David Cretney, who is also the chairman of the TT co-ordinating committee and a big bike fan, said: 'I applaud Isle of Man Newspapers for its initiative in launching the campaign to put forward Neil Hodgson as the Sports Personality of the Year.

'I would ask as many people as possible to vote for Neil, it has been a great year for him and his wife with the birth of their baby daughter and then, with great skill, he has topped the world's best in superbike racing.

'To be BBC personality of the year would be a well deserved crown for this modest and very talented young man who, on so many occasions, has promoted our lovely Island at the highest level.'

Further details about the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year Award will be available in due course.
26-10-2003, 04:56 PM