500cc Suter enters Isle of Man TT ??
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
500cc Suter enters Isle of Man TT ??
[Image: suter500-1.jpg]

Suter's new 500GP inspired two-stroke racer has been given special permission to compete in this year's Isle of Man TT! 

The MMX 500 was unveiled last September as a solution to the dwindling supply of parts for the original 500GP machines competing in events such as last year's inaugural 'World GP Bike Legends', attended by the likes of Kevin Schwantz, Wayne Gardner and Freddie Spencer.

However Eskil Suter's ambitions extend well beyond 'classic' racing and the bike will now go head-to-head with modern Superbike machinery in June's Superbike and Senior TT races, where rules allow four-strokes of up to 1200cc.

Suter is believed to be negotiating with two high-profile British riders and the first confirmed signing is expected shortly.

"We are currently negotiating with two former TT winners who know the track off by heart,”
confirmed Suter's marketing director Philippe Soutter.

Announced last September under the tagline 'The Beast Is Back', 99 of the limited edition Suters are planned for production, each with a price tag of 120,000 euros.

The machines are powered by a 576cc V4 engine (“We were so anxious that we ended up having a displacement of 576ccm… Who could blame us?”) producing 195hp for a weight of 127kg and estimated top speed of 310km/h (193mph). The bike also boasts electronic fuel injection and a counter-rotating crankshaft.

"We have a phenomenal power-to-weight ratio. It's like a rocket,” said Eskil Suter, who is also planning a road version of the MMX 500 in the near future. "And that's why we what the MMX 500 to enter the toughest road race in the world. For us this is the perfect testing ground."

Whether Suter will run the MMX 500 TT project in-house, or join with an existing race team is still under discussion. 

Suter Racing Technology began its association with grand prix two-strokes in the late 1990s, being 'deeply involved' in the Swissauto 500/MuZ that took two pole positions for Jurgen van den Goorbergh.

The company then went on to work with the likes of Foggy Petronas (WSBK), Kawasaki (MotoGP) and Ilmor (MotoGP) before winning three constructors' titles under its own name in the Moto2 category. Suter is rumoured to be working with Ducati on its 2016 MotoGP machine.

The fearsome 37.73-mile Isle of Man TT circuit formed part of the motorcycle grand prix calendar until 1976.

Suter also plans to enter the 2017 Pikes Peak Hill Climb in the USA - using a turbocharged engine!

[Image: suter500-2.jpg]

[Image: suter500-3.jpg]

Text from Crash Net Article.
15-02-2016, 12:12 PM
Website Find Reply
Big thumpa Offline

Threads: 5
Thumbsup  RE: 500cc Suter enters Isle of Man TT ??
Thats just AWSOME !!!!!!!!!!! cant wait to see this

Sucking Rabbits outa Hedges Icon_mrgreen
15-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: 500cc Suter enters Isle of Man TT ??
[Image: ttmonsterlogobig.jpg]

Swiss racing motorcycle manufacturer Suter Racing has confirmed that it will make its debut at the 2016 Isle of Man TT Races fuelled by Monster Energy.  The company has built the Suter MMX 500, a 580cc two-stroke engined machine, which it will campaign in the RST Superbike and PokerStars Senior TT Races.

The spectacular two-stroke motorcycle has already generated significant excitement with motorbike fans around the world and was named as ‘the most desirable motorcycle’ at the 2015 Eicma Motorcycle show in Milan.

The Suter MMX 500 was launched globally in September 2015 at the Airforce Center Dübendorf in front of 300 invited VIP guests. The company has developed only 99 racing motorcycles, aimed at the wealthy private amateur racer, at a price of CHF 120,000 (£85,000, $125,000, €109,000).

Ex GP rider and CEO Eskil Suter commented: 

“A launch of this nature with a limited run of motorcycling would ordinarily not be spectacular but the fact that the Suter has a 580cc two-stroke engine evokes almost hysterical emotion with the association of the wild days of 500cc Grand Prix racing where legends like Kenny Roberts, Eddie Lawson and Wayne Gardner, just to name a few, regularly fought thrillingly for podiums and against crashing. The furious power explosion of the former two-stroke bikes was still memorable to real fans and is considered the golden age of motorcycle racing.”

He continued: 

“However, these motorcycles were never readily available.  Suter has awakened this charismatic era with the MMX 500 bringing those GP bikes back to life in a modern context. We are equipping the MMX 500 engine with high-end components, of which one could only dream of back in the days of 500cc racing, including an electronic fuel injection, for example, and counter-rotating crankshafts.”

Eskil Suter is convinced that his bike can perform well against the Honda, BMW and Kawasaki superbikes.  He commented: 

“Suter has built up knowledge and understanding on the specifications in recent years, by constructing modules, complete motorcycles or as supplier to all Grand Prix classes.”We have a phenomenal good power to weight ratio. She drives like a bicycle with rocket propulsion.”

“In collaboration with a renowned university we have found solutions to adapt the delicate exhaust construction and get it under control”, said Eskil Suter. "and that's the reason why we want to go to the toughest road race in the world. For us this is the perfect testing ground.  The Senior TT, over six laps of the 60km long Snaefell Mountain Course, is just something for the toughest guys among the racers. I’m known indeed to be quite fearless," said Eskil Suter, "but the TT is now something where I would definitively prefer another let go first as a rider.”  

“We are currently negotiating with two former TT winners,” confirmed Suter’s Marketing Director Phillip Soutter. “We want an experienced rider and the best suited to us would be an old TT-warhorse.”

[Image: suterpromo1.jpg]

[Image: suterpromo2.jpg]
15-02-2016, 05:01 PM
Website Find Reply
Moderator2 Offline

Threads: 0
It is beautiful, I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing it.
15-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Find Reply
Blademan Offline

Threads: 4
Mmmmmm......... I wonder who the 2 former TT winners are who Suter are discussing this with?
15-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
Wink  RE: 500cc Suter enters Isle of Man TT ??
It will be good to see it out on the Track,
But based on the Norton efforts over the last couple of years,
Its just going to be a big PR Stunt put on by the powers that be, and at the same time,
Giving Suter a big Market place to try and sell what is a Beautiful bike, but only if you have the money !

Rather than pay Suter and change the Rules slightly to allow this bike in, ( Lets be real, he wont pay his own expense,s )
Would it not be better to put that money into the Guys that ride the event all of the time !
Or are we going back to the Dale Singleton Days,, lol

Just my thoughts Folks,
I await the Flak,,,
15-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
1 of the ex winners maybe rutter
the reason im thinking this is suerly there cant be too many still racing with 2 stroke experience
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
15-02-2016, 11:59 PM
Find Reply
Mugen Offline

Threads: 4
I'm looking forward to seeing this.
16-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Find Reply
Moderator2 Offline

Threads: 0
(15-02-2016, 11:59 PM)scaramanga Wrote: 1 of the ex winners maybe rutter
the reason im thinking this is suerly there cant be too many still racing with 2 stroke experience

Could Mr Lougher be tempted.out of retirement? As far as I know he's still got a Mountain Course licence, and this would be right up his street.
16-02-2016, 05:21 PM
Find Reply
commandoz Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Smile  RE: 500cc Suter enters Isle of Man TT ??
Sounds like Bruce would be the man for the job
16-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

did think about logher
and also bruce but it has said in talks with 2 british ex winners and we all know bruce is a newzealander
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

17-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
Anyone know if David Essex is available?
Warning Level 0% since 2006
18-02-2016, 06:00 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Looks like Ian Lougher is back to ride the Suter.

The project will be unveiled In Switzerland later today.
18-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Website Find Reply
Mr B Offline

Threads: 3
(18-02-2016, 06:00 AM)Sam Pato Wrote: Anyone know if David Essex is available?

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
I knew I'd seen that bike somewhere before!
18-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

[Image: suterracinglogo2.jpg]

Ian Lougher to race 500cc Suter at Isle of Man TT

Ten time TT winner Ian Lougher is to race the 500GP-inspired Suter in this year's Isle of Man event.

The 52-year-old Welshman claimed his wins between 1990-2009 and runs Team ILR in the British Championship, but has been tempted back into TT action by Eskil Suter's exciting MMX500 two-stroke project, which will go head-to-head with the four-stroke Superbikes.

"I liked the approach of Suter on this project," Lougher explained. "Despite the emotions, which naturally come with such a project, Suter works very objectively and professionally.

"We want to improve the MMX 500 over the next three years and do the TT step-by-step. It's clear that winning takes some time.

"But from the start we are sure spectators will be delighted to see, hear and smell us on a two-stroke!"

The Suter MMX500 is actually powered by a 580cc V4 engine, featuring the latest technology, including electronic fuel injection and counter-rotating crankshafts.

99 of the machines will be built, a price tag of 120,000 CHF. Some will replace the increasingly rare (and tough to maintain) original 500cc race machines at events such as 'World GP Bike Legends', but Suter is also planning a road version.

"That's the reason why we want to go to the toughest road race in the world. For us this is the perfect testing ground," said Suter, who raced against Lougher in the 1991 European 250cc Championship.

"I'm known to be quite fearless," he added, "but the TT is now something where I would prefer to let another rider go first."

In addition to his TT wins, Lougher has nine victories to his credit at the NW200.

Upon announcing the shock TT project, Suter's marketing director Philippe Soutter had said: 

"We want an experienced rider, best would be an old TT-warhorse.

The Swiss company was also talking to another former TT winner, suggesting Lougher may yet have a team-mate.

[Image: suterTTbike.jpg]
The Suter TT Bike 

Text from Crash Net
Peter McLaren
18-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

[Image: ttmonsterlogobig.jpg]

Suter Racing has confirmed that Ian Lougher will race the Suter MMX 500 at the 2016 Isle of Man TT Races fuelled by Monster Energy.

Welsh racer Lougher made his Isle of Man Mountain Course debut in the memorable 1983 Manx Grand Prix Newcomers Race, finishing third to Robert Dunlop and Steve Hislop.

Lougher’s ‘two stroke’ credentials include being the only rider to win five consecutive North-West 200 125cc titles and numerous Southern 100 wins. He took his first TT victory in the 1990 Lightweight TT in one of the closest races in TT history, winning by only 1.8 seconds from Steve Hislop.  Lougher set a new race record and a lap record that wasn’t beaten for nine years.

Lougher enjoyed a near 30 year TT career between 1984 and 2013 which included ten race wins and a record 126 stars, and the most replicas awarded to a TT rider, before retiring after the 2013 Senior TT.  

However, the now 53 year old continued to race on the TT Mountain Course in the Classic TT, which included wins in the 2014 Bennetts 500cc Race and the Motorsport Merchandise Formula 2 Classic TT Races. He would have regained his 500cc Classic TT title but for a thirty second pit lane speeding penalty in 2015.

Lougher will be reunited with an old rival from the 1991 250cc European Championship, Eskil Suter, now the CEO of Suter Racing.  Commenting on his return to the TT Lougher said:

"I really warmed to Estil Suter’s approach on this project. Despite the emotions that are undoubtedly attached to something of this nature, Suter Racing is approaching it both objectively and professionally which is the only way to go racing on the TT course.”

He continued:

“We want to learn the MMX 500 in the next three years to tackle the TT step by step before we can be properly competitive and it might seem strange for an old fella to say it but you can always learn something new on the Isle of Man. However, I’m sure the spectators are in for a treat from the word go.”

[Image: suterTTbike.jpg]

[Image: sutergroup1.jpg]
Giussani, Asa Lougher, Ian Lougher & Eskil Souter
(This post was last modified: 19-02-2016, 01:23 PM by Malcolm.)
18-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Website Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

im sure the old git will love it

18-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Sure he will appreciate your kind words....

Love the colour-scheme, amazing what a difference a decent spray job makes.

Just hope IL keeps it safe, a veteran coming out of retirement to race a snarling 500 2 stroke around the TT course doesn't bare thinking about really.
18-02-2016, 10:43 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
The engine is going to sound wonderful being a conventional firing V4. The big bang engine bikes used by Bruce never did sound right.   

Kilbil
(This post was last modified: 19-02-2016, 01:07 PM by kilbil.)
19-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
(18-02-2016, 11:28 AM)Mr B Wrote: Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
I knew I'd seen that bike somewhere before!

Unfortunately I've had that bloody song in my head ever since I saw the picture.........

All together now

"I've a dreeeeeeeeeam..........silver-dream-machiiiiiiiiine............

Reminds me of (in no particular order);
Barry Sheene posters
Brut
Nylon Y fronts
Falling off my chopper.

But back to the point - I'm thinking Gary Dynes was last man to finish a race on a v4 2stroke at the TT (the one in June that is).  Was it one of Joe Millars Yams? Painted in Blue I seem to recall.

Hope they can get this bike to run and get a finish - I think Norton have shown us all how hard it is to be competitive with a new machine.  Going to take a lot of patience.

Cheers

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
20-02-2016, 12:59 AM
Find Reply