Motorcycle Show NEC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Motorcycle Show NEC
Again, I attended the annual Motorcycle Show at the NEC....
I was pleased to see John Reynolds, Adrian Archibald and Neil Hodgson.........
However the attempt to get recognition for motorcycling required the involvement of other sports !!
Matthew Pincent, plus various others, who were there all looked bewildered and gave the impression they really could have done other things with their time.
As an "old fogey" I open this string to you to see if you feel as I do, that the sport and motorcycling in general was starved of its own representatives at the show..
In other years we met the riders and the people who are the basis of our sport and recreation..
There were so few this year..
It is all very well trying to make it out that other sportsman from other disciplines "like" motorbikes and this might attract a few more of the general public, but it felt "FALSE" to me.
WE need all the help we can get but is this the way..
Your comments please, I'll sit on the fence for the time being..
16-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Motorcycle Show NEC
Very good point, I stopped going to motor cycle shows a few years ago for the same reason, I have always thought shows was more about personalities and racing machines than rows of stands selling off leathers, helmets etc. I used to go to the Alexanra Palace show when the top GP & TT men were there, it was like walking round the paddock in the 70' & 80's.Then about 7 years ago I went down for a weekend & on the Sunday I didn't see one face I recognised,I then realised the modern shows were not for me.I still attend the Irish shows as they still attract the top racing men who are always approchable and friendly,isn't that what shows are all about. Still the NEC still attracts tens of thousands of visitors so obviously they appeal to the majority Haven't you ever thought of attending the TT riders gathering in Birmingham Ian,a full day in the company of the heroes of the TT from the last 70 or so years, this year's guest of honour Murray Walker gave a brilliantly witty & emotional speech.
16-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

NEC vs Supermoto!
Well, on a very chilly but bright afternoon in Edinburgh we had sportsmen from another genre showing in a practical way how much they like bikes.
Quad racing and supermoto with the likes of Colin and Alister MacRae...giving it laldy as we say here, and mixing it with John Crawford, and lots of Irish and Scottish supermotards....what an entertaining series of races.
Also featured was Jeremy McWilliams pushing a mad supermoto to the limit. Great fun, great racing and NO pretentions, no skinny super models or cheap last season's gloves!
No "stars", just people having a great time and mixing with the crowd in a relaxed way. Love em all!
16-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

For Baylon
Great commentary and excellent organisation by your maun McMinn. Good rides from (apologies for not listing everyone who did well, most were completely new to me)Ross Donleavy, Greg Kinsella, Davy McKee, Alan Morgan, Anita Doran (wonder if she'd fancy road racing here and IOM...)some of our own guys...Stuart Rollo, Sandy Christie, ...too many to mention, and, most important of all, they all seemed to have a whale of a time. Come back soon, and, Baylon, the invitation to you and yours to stay at Coven Garden Heights is there...use of garage thrown in!
16-11-2003, 06:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: For Baylon
16-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: For Baylon
Ah Super , glad to see you enjoyed the days racing , , Young Ross Dunleavy , is an up and coming star , he beat me in this years CCM challenge, he will do well in a few years time , good to see Jezza out in the thick of things , ( i started racing the same day as he did!, but i took a wrong turn somewhere!), maybe next year , if supermoto is there , so will i , and thanks for the offer of garage etc , much appreciated.
16-11-2003, 10:29 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Competative or What ?
Yes Helen, could not agree more. A great day out, great racing and well supported by the scots. So good to see the guys putting on a really good show for the fans. Ok they may be superstars to but to watch the likes of Colin McRae, Alastair McRae, John Crawford (definatly highest over the jump all day) and especially Jezza McWilliams, nothing to win and nothing to loose but competative or what ??? Yes and as Harvey said Brill value for a scottish fiver !!!
cheers,
Stella.
PS Don`t tell anyone but Jezza reckons he may be racing an Aprilia next season ;0)
16-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: NEC vs Supermoto!
18-11-2003, 08:44 AM