LIKE THE OLDEN DAYS
Anonymous
Unregistered

LIKE THE OLDEN DAYS
If you are quick and go to Manx Radios Webcam you will see "The Lady of Man" in Douglas Harbour---

Nostalgia indeed--We TT fans travel on the High Speed Cats nowadays...It used to be a fullday trip each way to the Island--Now you haven't time to finish yer pint---Bit like the TT innit ???

<A HREF="http://www.manxradio.com">www.manxradio.com</A>
click on webcam
24-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: LIKE THE OLDEN DAYS
I hate "that old tub" some of the worst crossings to the IOM I've ever made were on it.
I've been gassed on the car deck, choked on the awful food and not once ever did it sail or arrive on time.
The only thing that made travelling on it worthwhile was the fact that I was on my way to see the greatest motorcycle race in the world and to be enjoying that race on holiday on such a wonderful island full of warm friendly people.
No wonder we called it the Steam Racket.

BAH ! HUMBUG!!!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
25-12-2003, 08:00 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

fao Cargo
Best wishes for Christmas and 2004 to Sandy, the boys and yourself. Hope Santa brought lots of colourful goodies, including a bike and lots of money for the racing!!
25-12-2003, 09:00 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about the marshalls picking you up at Ballacrae? happy xmas Cargo and good luck in 2004.
25-12-2003, 12:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Pikey thats a day I'll never forget dispite crashing it was the best ever TT holiday I can remember.
It was the last year that I holidayed with that group of friends before they all started to get married have kids etc etc etc. I still go to the TT with them but not altogether again like then..........happy days.
25-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do'nt ever remember sailing on the lady of man,but went on the first genuine car ferry which i believe was called The Manx Maid it was like trying to negotiate a helter skelter at Douglas end when driving off.Previous went on old passenger ferries where they craned the Thames van on and roped you onto the wooden decks.Quite nice as you could sit in the van all the way across.In those days the ferries even had a ladies only lounge with a matron in full uniform in charge,god help you if us guys tried to get in.
There was one old tub that no one liked sailing on believe it was called the King Orry or something like that,anyone can remember? Must admit i enjoyed the crossings then better than today as the old ferries had much more room
25-12-2003, 01:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, God, the King Orry...I had crossed the Pentland Firth on the St Ola in a force 7, and never been sick, but I was sick all the way over on that dreadful tub!
The IOMSPC boats were the only ones I was ever sick on, and it says something about my love of the TT/Manx/Southern100 that I put myself through that every year for so many years!
Now I go by Euromanx...lovely!
25-12-2003, 04:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

When you come with a bike from Germany loke me you must go with a ferry twice. Over the channel from Zebbrugge to Hull in very good ferries by P&O with good food , drinks entertainment and after that you come to Heysham and must enter a "wonderful" ferry from the IOMSPC. So I love the todays fat ferries to the IoM cause I musn't spent a long time on the ferry. And when I look on the costs - forget it. The best of these ferrie is - they bring us to the IoM.
Michael
25-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

My first trip to the Island was in the early 1960s on th Manx Maid.
The return was on the Manx Man when my 1964 Bonneville disgraced itself by refusing to start.
Embarcation to the vessle was by means of a steep gang plank midships. After several abortive attempts to start the bike, I took a fast run pushing the bike up the gang plank. About half way up I ran out of steam and slowed to a halt. Several of the deck hands came to my assistance amid much cheering and jeering from to onlookers.

The joke was on me as the bike was only low on fuel after the tank had been pumped out (The Olden Days). I only needed to turn on the reserve tap!!!!
27-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I often wondered where the petrol went that they pumped out of the bikes into 50 gallon oil drums.
Did you buy it back when you went to refill at the nearest garage,or was there a black market operating around pierhead? Anyone got the answer?
27-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now then Arthur thats a very good question as to this day no-one has explained were the fuel went? and at 10p a gallon aprox it was big money.
27-12-2003, 07:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

TEN P A GALLON???????????????????????????????????

Jaysus Pykey, how old are you????????????????????
29-12-2003, 01:54 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry about that Larry i meant four bob a gallon.
29-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll bet all the dockers and there mates ran round in jags.

john
29-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cleveland Discol
Now who can remember that ?

2/6 a gallon and guaranteed to give your engine a boost ??
30-12-2003, 01:50 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The turntable
Who also remembers the turntable at E.B. Christian's on the North Quay? The pumps were in the garage, you filled up they spun you round and away you went. It was the first port of call when the family got off the boat in 1960. Dad's Vincent spluttered all the way off the boat, they must have given the tank a good draining!
I later worked at the Lucas depot at E.B.s, the turntable was still there until the Clinches development went up, as were the benches used by the Lucas racing personnel.
30-12-2003, 02:58 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Cleveland Discol
what about REDEX,1P a shot.I remember one crossing we did ,one hour out of d harbour,bloke had heart attack,classed as international waters ,so turned back to lpool,nightmare.1978 stickers to say your bike had been pumped out,had mike the bikes photo on .i was fortunate to be at crosby oneday ,he signed it for me ,wish i had the bike now.happy new year all,CHEERS BARNESIE.
30-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was 1d a shot. My Bonneville always seemed to run smoother on National Benzol petrol. The Esso garage was much nearer home but it was always worth the time and effort to burn up the road for a fill-up.
04-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Ariel Arrow went like lightning on BP petroil,we also used to purchase castor oil from the local chemist to leave an aroma, who said coffee bar cowboys?
04-01-2004, 01:41 PM