bronze replica
Anonymous
Unregistered

bronze replica
on e-bay (item no. 3263577230) is abronze replica for sale---It states it was presented to A.R. Capner in 1954---You have two hours !!!
04-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: bronze replica
Yes Ian it was Roly Capner who had a long TT career 1952-1964 best result 16th in 1960 lightweight.Find it sad when these trophies come up for sale rather than being treasured by children and grandchildren,as they are rather meaningless to the purchasers.If circumstances dictate there is no next of kin then donation to the TT Riders association is to be encouraged.
However i relise family circumstances may dictate their sale,I was friendly with a profesional footballer who had to sell his England caps and his FA Cup Final winners medal.
04-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Different people put different values on these things, personally I think they are just worthless pieces of junk. I know they are very hard to come by, but they just clutter up the place.

Twenty years ago when I finished racing I gave away a load of silver and bronze replicas together with I don't know how many finishers plaques and other stuff.

Two tea chests of minor stuff such as from the Southern and short circuits and endurance racing went to the tip. I was glad to see the back of them.

Same with the junk from competing horses I put over 400 1st place trophies and rosettes in bin bags and threw them in the back of the bin waggon.

I won the the Ballymoney Lord Mayors show vintage car best in show cup last year, a huge silver thing, I am sick to death of cleaning it, I will be glad when May comes round and I have to give it back to the Council.

I just enjoyed preparing the bikes and the competing and having the good friends in and associated with the sport.

05-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

They always make a bit of money for good causes if you raffle or auction them off. People who haven't won anything like that do value them...ironic, isn't it?
Must admit I am VERY proud of my Southern finishers awards..sad old lady me!
05-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sad at all,and I'm sure your not old, you should be very proud of them, the Southerns a tough hairy place to race.
05-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

05-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I nearly threw all of my reps and finishers medals in the skip I thought they were wothgless and then someone asked if they could have them.

Funny thing is that a Silver won by Tommy Wood in 8th place in the 1947 Junior went for sale in the States at $3,250 U.S dollars.

The seller was the The Harris Vincent Gallery Inc.
05-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about donating them to the Joey Dunlop Injiured Riders Fund? Joey donated many of his trophies for "ballots" in aid of riders or their families.
I am sure Barbara and Co would get the last penny out of them!
05-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

05-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sorry I don't run alongside the Tom Loughbridge non sentimental theory, because I genuinely value every replica that I have which I think is 67 including the Manx. Why?.....because every one is a memory of the race, I find I can flag up the information just by seeing, say 10th place 1985 FII, or 6th 1988 Production etc etc. My brother Tony is a non sentimentalist, but all his are on show, as are David's nine winners replicas.
What was it all about if all you do is sling them in the skip? Mine are not actually on show where they can easily be seen, but they can be found if you look carefully.
To be fair I've won a few golf trophies this year, and they ARE a nuisance. My trials ones are too, except the special ones like the Scott Trial Spoons, the Scottish Six Days Tankards, and the International Six Day Medals.
05-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didnt throw mine out. All my MGP "Qualified to start" badges and finishers awards, including the 2nd place 1983 lt/wt Classic one, were destroyed in a house fire just over 4 years ago, the only thing surviving being my one and only replica,1986, slightly the worse for wear. So the only thing Ive got to show for my MGP carear is one rep and last years finishers award, and, in case you're wondering, No, they aint for sale !!!
05-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

My sentiments entirely Arthur
05-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

No need to be sorry you don't agree with me Nick, everyone has their own values and is entitled to their opinion.

But then again there is a hell of a difference, you and all of your family were real dedicated superstars with an illustrious and magnificent record of which anyone would be proud and would understably want to keep their trophies, how many wins and 2nd and third places and lap records? and you were all dedicated to the sport, me I just went racing for the ride to have a whizz round and enjoy myself, have a bit of fun and do the best I could.
05-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom you are not on your own although i didnt race i know of a well known s/car passenger who had his in a bin bag, and no i am not naming him but he resides near your old shop?
05-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would have bid for the replica if I had read Tom's posting in time, I have all sorts of TT related goods from signed photo's to the egg DJ won the egg and spoon race with at the "non TT " down the pit lane.I value them all greatly ,It takes all sorts I suppose.

John
05-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know who you mean, I think there was a good few who did the same and just walked away.

I think the worst thing I experienced at the T.T. where the presentations at the Palace Lido, I always found them the most embarrassing experience of my life and used to cringe and go cold when your name was called out and you had to go up on stage in front of all of those people.

It was the same at the TTRA dinners when Allan Robinson called your name out and you where expected to stand up to everyones applause and then listen to Allan telling them about you record at the T.T. Ugh! I shudder when I think about it.

Anyone know what happened to South African Continental Circus and T.T. rider 'Jolly' Jack Ahearn, I believe he just walked away from it all and was never heard of again.
05-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom, that mighty Australian is still about, in fact if you go to the following webpage
and scroll down to the motorcycle article you will even see a picture of him as he is today.

<A HREF="http://www.echonews.com/738/">http://www.echonews.com/738/</A>
05-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amazing!
How do you do it, Don...producing an up to the minute Jack Ahearn story the very time he's mentioned! Sure as I'm a witch, you must be a wizard!
05-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Absolutely brilliant Don, Jack does not look as though he has changed a bit from over fourty years ago.

Never could tell the difference between Ozzies, Kiwis, Rhodesians and S.As

Now that Rally is something I would like to see.
06-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Amazing!
Perhaps we could show each other some magic tricks next time we meet Helen!!
Foster is another one who is good with smoke and mirrors.
06-01-2004, 04:24 AM