LAVERTY VICTORY MAKES IT THREE THRUXTON PODIUMS FOR TYCO BMW
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
LAVERTY VICTORY MAKES IT THREE THRUXTON PODIUMS FOR TYCO BMW
[Image: lavertyodiumthruxton.jpg]

Michael Laverty took his second win of the season, making it a treble podium weekend for Tyco BMW, during round six of the British Superbike Championship at Thruxton in Hampshire.

The podium celebrations and race two Superbike top step, was hopefully a fitting send off for BMW Motorrad UK Marketing Manager, Lee Nicholls, who is off to pastures new within the BMW Motorrad group – having been the driving force behind a plethora of S1000RR race victories in recent seasons.

Laverty’s BSB victory came in the re-started race two, and having managed his tyres in blisteringly hot conditions on the notoriously abrasive Thruxton circuit – the Tyco BMW rider increased the pace in the closing laps, to take a comfortable three second victory.

The win and his second place in race one, moves Laverty up to fourth in the championship standings, but more importantly, up to third in the podium credits’ table, only thirteen behind series leader Shane Byrne.

Christian Iddon had a tough weekend and slipped to seventh in the BSB championship standings after taking just three points at the Hampshire venue.

In the Superstock 1000cc class Josh Elliott finished third and Ian Hutchinson fourth after both had spells at the front in an enthralling encounter. The 14-time TT winner remains second in the championship standings with Elliott still within striking distance in fourth.

Michael Laverty: 

“I’ve had a lot of misfortune this season, so it was nice to see Lady Luck shining on us a little bit today. I still had to ride for it and was really patient on the Tyco BMW S1000RR, managing my tyre up until three laps to go. I had kept enough in reserve to put a small gap into the group behind and win the race comfortably. We worked all weekend on the long game, making sure our tactics worked correctly and we had plenty of tyre left for the second half of the races.

“It paid off and to come away with a win and a second place on a circuit that I wouldn’t have said was one of our strongest, is a phenomenal achievement for Tyco BMW. We’ve had our strongest day of the season here points-wise, but we needed that and the aim is to keep building from here and see what we can do at Brands Hatch.”

Podium man in the Superstock 1000cc class Josh Elliott was also delighted with his weekend’s work, despite missing out on the win, and said afterwards.

Josh Elliott: 

“I’m very happy as I think it’s the first race I’ve led for five or six laps, so to do that gave me a lot of confidence. I’ve found a setting I’m comfortable with on the Tyco BMW and I believe we can now be there week-in-week-out. I’ve finally got to show what I can do on the S1000RR, up against some very good riders this year. I’m disappointed I couldn’t execute the manouvre to win the race, but to get third and strong points gives me big belief for Brands Hatch and the remaining rounds this season.”

Philip Neill – Team Manager: 

“We would like to thank our partners BMW Motorrad UK, Tyco Security Products and all our associate sponsors for the support this season. Special thanks must go to Lee Nicholls for his invaluable input this past 18 months. Hopefully the Superbike win and additional podiums this weekend is the perfect send off for Lee, as he takes up his new role within BMW Motorrad in the coming days.

“On a racing front, it was a really positive display from Michael Laverty. Full credit must go to all Tyco BMW technicians, but Michael must receive plenty of plaudits himself for a display of brilliance and experience. Thruxton requires a unique level of tyre management and Michael showed his strength today, doing a superb job.

“Christian is experiencing some difficulties at the moment, however I am confident he can bounce back to his brilliant best very soon. We had hoped for a win today in Superstock 1000, and that looked likely until Ian Hutchinson suffered problems with his quick shifter and throttle blipper system.

“This made the second half of the race very difficult for him, but it was extremely good to see Josh back where he belongs on the podium. I have no doubt, we are yet to see the best from the current Stock 1000 champion. Congratulations to fellow BMW rider Taylor Mackenzie on his race win.”

British Superbike Championship Points: 

Shane Byrne 181 points; Leon Haslam 166; Jason O’Halloran 146; Michael Laverty 135; Dan Linfoot 118; James Ellison 109

National Superstock 100cc Championship Points: 

Taylor Mackenzie 133; Ian Hutchinson 110; Keith Farmer 106; Josh Elliott 88; Michael Rutter 77; Fraser Rogers 72

[Image: tycobmwlogo.jpg]
25-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Website Find Reply