Luke Mossey gunning for Showdown glory
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Luke Mossey gunning for Showdown glory
[Image: lukemosseyatoulton.jpg]

Fresh from a highly successful meeting last weekend at Oulton Park, the Quattro Plant Kawasaki team head to Donington Park, Leicestershire for round ten of the 2016 MCE British Superbike Championship and having superbly qualified for the ‘Showdown’, team member Luke Mossey has one thing firmly on his mind – glory.

The 23-year old claimed his best ever BSB result at Oulton when he claimed second in the third and final race and it was the result that sealed his place amongst the top six Championship runners. That makes him one of the ‘Title Fighters’ whereby only the top six riders in the series can dispute the title at the final three rounds, starting at Donington, and he now goes head to head with rivals Leon Haslam, Shane Byrne, Jason O’Halloran, James Ellison and Dan Linfoot.

The points for all six ‘Title Fighters’ have now been reset with all of them awarded a starting total of 500 points. On top of this, the podium credits they’ve accrued – 5pts for first, 3 for second and 1 for third – during the course of the first nine rounds are added. That means Haslam leads the way on 546 with Luke placed sixth on 506 and over the final seven races, points will be added to these totals in the traditional Grand Prix format of 25 for first, 20 for second, 16 for third etc.

Team-mate Filip Backlund had a trouble free run at Oulton Park, after suffering crashes at both Brands Hatch and Cadwell Park, and the Swede came away with three morale boosting top twenty finishes. Returning to a circuit he enjoys immensely, he’s now ready to get back into the top 15 and score points just like he did at both Knockhill and Snetterton earlier in the season.

Dickies British Supersport Championship contender Andrew Reid will sadly be a non-starter from the meeting due to crashing out in practice and breaking his scaphoid at Oulton Park last Friday but Donington does see the return of Ricky Stevens and Ryan Charlwood with no less than three Hyundai Heavy Industries British Sidecar Championship races on the schedule.

With four wins from the last five races, reigning champions Stevens and Charlwood currently hold onto a healthy 33-point lead over Ben Holland/Lee Watson but there are still seven races in the series remaining and plenty of points up for grabs so there’ll be keen to ram home their advantage around the 2.5-mile Grand Prix circuit. It’s also the first time since Thruxton in July that the three-wheelers have been seen on the BSB programme so the entire field will be eager to put on a show and remind the expected 30,000 race fans what they’ve been missing.

Luke Mossey: 

“Well, after the weekend we had at Oulton, it’s going to be hard to top with having my first child and then making the Showdown but I’m really looking forward to Donington. It’s one of my favourite circuits and now we’re in the Showdown we can really crack on and try to get our first Superbike win. I feel like I’m riding well, my form is good, the bike’s great and the team are working mega hard so we’re all looking forward to getting started.”

Pete Extance, Team Owner: 

“Obviously, it’s a massive weekend for Quattro Plant Kawasaki and we’re very pleased to be in the Showdown for the second time in our history. Luke’s on top form at the moment and he’s not going into the Showdown to make up the numbers – he’s going into it to try and cause an upset or two amongst his fellow contenders. Donington’s one of his favourite circuits and he’s certainly up for it whilst we’ll also be unveiling a special Showdown livery for the Kawasaki ZX-10R so keep an eye out for that.”

“We’re also looking to get Filip back in amongst the points where we feel he belongs and although Andy won’t be racing sadly, we’re delighted to welcome back our Championship leading sidecar team Ricky and Ryan and with three races on the programme, we’ll be looking to extend our lead in the title race.”

The two 20-lap Superbike races take place on Sunday and are scheduled to get underway at 13:30 and 16:30.

16-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Website Find Reply