SHAKEY: “I AM NOT TURNING UP THIS WEEKEND TO FINISH SECOND”
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
SHAKEY: “I AM NOT TURNING UP THIS WEEKEND TO FINISH SECOND”
[Image: shakeyatassen.jpg]
Pic by Double Red

Shane 'Shakey' Byrne continues his ‘strive for five’ titles at the MCE British Superbike Championship finale at his home round of Brands Hatch this weekend (14/15/16 October) and the standings leader is ready to take on Leon Haslam for the final time this season.

Byrne leads the standings by 17 points ahead of the three races this weekend, but knows that he needs to stop Haslam’s winning momentum from Assen and stay ahead if he is going to add to his record-breaking title tally.

Shakey said: 

“I am looking forward to Brands Hatch and I think it is very important to treat this final round like any other round of the season. We need to keep focusing on doing the best job we can with whatever the weekend brings. You can’t second guess what will happen in this championship because anything can happen as it is so competitive and the final round always means some riders put more on the line to end the season. They don’t care about the outcome of the championship so we need to be ready for that.

“I have been in this situation of fighting for the title at the final round probably five or six times now and the reality for Leon is that he needs to win races and he needs to beat me in all three. I have to counter how he approaches the weekend too but the way I am going to do that is to go for all three wins as I would at any other round.

“I am not turning up this weekend to finish second. We want to get to the front and stay there and if it comes to a straight fight between myself and Leon, I will be going for that win. Yes I have an advantage in the points now, but I am going to Brands Hatch to win one, two or even three races as I don’t like finishing second!”

[Image: bsblogo.jpg]
11-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Website Find Reply