Controversial at least
Anonymous
Unregistered

Controversial at least
One of my colleagues who has never been to the TT but can read, came to me this week and said "Will they produce new trophies for these short TTs ? Surely these new TTs cannot use the trophies won by the big names when the TT was a big race".....Now that is HIS comment not mine, but I had to think about it...There's Hailwood, Ago etc fighting out a race over seven and six laps with pit stops and all the exciting bits and this year we have a four lap dash--And the winner is awarded a prestigeous Mercury trophy.....Is is deserved ?????

Surely this new concept is not in the same ballgame as the older days--

After all my involvement with the TT over more than 50 years, I am fighting to give it support come what may but there are a lot of doubts creeping in when outsiders comment and the comments make sense..

Surely awarding these trophies makes the previous winners greater mortals so perhaps we need to think about a new set of relevant trophies for a TT about to change...............

Please comment on this because I personally have mixed feelings about this..

But I do hope that "they" will reconsider and return to Six lappers for the big races !

It is a fact that reductions have been made in areas more safe than others---Dj crashed---on a Thursday as have other top riders....

So really what is all the reasoning behind these reductions...I hope Tynwald comes up with some good answers..

21-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Controversial at least
Hi Ian
I think that the winners SHOULD be given the same trophy for winning a 4 lap race or a 6 lap race, without taking anything away from riders who have won six lappers 30 years ago, they were not riding at the same speed as todays top riders. I would say that 4 laps on one of todays superbikes would be at least as hard as six laps on one of yesteryears machines? Personally I think that the race tactics will change alot, maybe faster engines may appear next year with them only needing to last 150 miles instead of 226? Of course one interesting point Could it see a return of more 500cc 2strokes? They will last four laps it was six they struggled with.
But back to your point about the Trophies, personally I feel that the winner of the Senior TT should be awarded the Senior TT Trophy wether it be over 4,5 6,7,8 laps, as have been in the past.
From a riders point of view I can assure you that it is not as easy as "a four lap dash", it may seem that way sat at the side of a road with a camera, sandwiches and flask watching riders go by now and then but for the riders it is hard work for 150.92miles.
I hope this is taken constructively as I know sometimes postings can seem personal rather than in the manner they are intended.
Cheers
Russ

21-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally I am a firm supporter of the 6 lap races. Don't forget that the TT should be a test of endurance as well as sheer speed and handling skills. It is also a test of the bikes, the designs and technology of which find their way onto the bikes we ride on the road.
If the 4 lap races become mandatory and therefore outside "our" control, then the winners should not be seen as lesser mortals compared with the Heros of the past.
I am not in favour of "disposable bikes" that can manage only 4 laps.
It has been said before, probably on this site, that the winner of a 400metre race can be just as exhausted as the winner of a marathon race.
A modern bike can be "Easier" to ride than one of the pre-disc brake, pre-trick suspention era. I know this as I ride bikes from 1999 back to 1919.
My 1999 Super Blackbird is a lot easier than my 1977 GL1000 Goldwing, even though the Blackbird has twice the engine power.
21-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Worth thinking about,but 4 or 6 laps i think it is still a supreme test of man and machine.
When they reduced championship boxing from 15 rounds to 12 rounds it still produced a champion with the coveted champions belt,so I think it right that the existing trophies should remain.
Regarding comparisons with the 60s era the higher speeds of today as a reason for reducing to 4laps is quite honestly not proven.The M.V. ect of the 60s would do 160mph and a Manx Norton was good for around 148mph and remember the reliability and handling and tyres in those days could not compare with the modern machines.Plus the fact that the coarse is a hell of alot smoother today.
The big mistake I believe they are making is running a practise session immediatly after racing.Practice should be in a more relaxed atmosphere and i can see a situation of riders coming from racing conditions into practise conditions with the adrenaline still pumping
21-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've kept out of this, because I firmly believe the people who know about this are the current riders,(with some wisdom from their elders too) and their opinion is worth yards of my nonsense. However, from a spectator's point of view, I just want to see safe, fast racing, with STYLE...love style. 4 laps is great, but 5, 6 would be even better. More would be too much, and I would simply be anxious. (Of course we sidecar people are used to "short" races anyway)
I think anyone who can manage 1 lap at current racing speeds is a hero, and as for the likes of Stuart Sturrock or Mick Skene, on their very first try, doing what they did...good grief, the witch is speechless......
21-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it is important that nobody accept the 4-lap idea as a fait accompli.
Given time the pressure of the majority will overcome the one weak point in the recent raft of changes.
Of course some people may genuinely believe that 4 laps is ok and we have to respect their opinion,
however just reading and listening so far I think it was a major boo boo.
As far as the trophy is concerned this must never be changed.
From a philosophical viewpoint I am against the constant dumbing down of so much in human experience.
Instant food, news reduced to a few sentences, shorter GPs, short dresses and now shortening the TT.
Do people really want to sit in a covered stand where they can see the whole circuit and the race is over in an hour?
Of course everything old is not automatically good but conversely everything shorter and quicker can be much less satisfying.
A good question may be "Where the hell did they get the idea to shorten the TT from, when nobody wants it shortened?"

21-01-2004, 11:21 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's my tuppence worth.

Several years ago I had the pleasure of interviewing the evergreen Stanley Woods, he understood girder forks and other such luxuries!!!. Stanley was campaigning for 9 lap races based on the modern easier ridden machines!!!!!

Regards,

Big D.
21-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

A TT win is a TT win.

As such, the TT Trophy is awarded to the winner.

End of story.
22-01-2004, 01:58 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just a quick final comment from me. I have to disagree with Don. In my humble opinion, "Short Dresses" are NOT less satisfying!
22-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

One wonders that if the TT F1 and Senior are reduced by one third will we see a one third reduction in insurance costs for riders????
22-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just do what is right give Us back our 6 Laps and get on with it....
22-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

And in those days it was a push start as well, from the pit stops as well, not these nancy boy clutch starts. LOL
22-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Controversial at least: Cargo
Cargo : You are joking !!!!! lol
23-01-2004, 12:22 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just be careful they don't find reasons to reduce the prize money....

What about the lap/payments ??
26-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL. prizemoney cut by a third to equal the cut in distance. priceless ;-)
26-01-2004, 08:04 PM