virus attachment / mike cain
Anonymous
Unregistered

virus attachment / mike cain
just looked at my e-mail and got a message from mike cain at manx net containing a zip attachment loaded with the new virus mydoom. so mike, if you're reading this, your pc needs weeding and worming asap. no accusations here, i know how this worm spreads itself about, so all beware of e-mails even from people you think you know.
ade!
05-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: virus attachment / mike cain
Just delete it, and don't open any attachments unless you know what they are. Mydoom harvests addresses from address books and sites, and sends mails without even entering the named address, so it probably nec=ver went near Mike's machine.
05-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been getting messages saying e-mail not delivered when I haven't even sent one.
I checked for mydoom as per microsoft instructions and it is not on my machine.
The trouble as you say is that it looks to other people as though I have sent it when it has just picked up my address from somoen elses.
05-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have also messages saying mail couldnt be delivered? i havnt sent any emails for 2 days weird or what.
05-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ade, Mike replied on RRR.com. Reckons he got all clear but gonna check his computer again just to make sure ?
cheers,
Stella
06-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi stella, got that, cheers. like i said, no accusations, i know how sneeky these little buggers are.
ade!
06-02-2004, 12:39 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

What you are all getting is carriers of viruses. There seem to be 3 common ones. An incomplete message containing unicode: a returned message, when you never sent one, and I forget what the other one looks like, cos I just delete them asap. As long as you delete them completely so you can't accidentally open the attachment, you're ok. The email itself is not a virus. Remember, if you are using OE or suchlike, you will need to empty your delete box to finally get rid of them.
06-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

go to <A HREF="http://www.avast.com">www.avast.com</A> and download the free worm/trojan remover. it deletes about a dozen of those buggers.

;-)

10-02-2004, 10:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

geoff, i did exactly that a week ago, but my pc does not like this software and after using it once it crashed time and again until i got rid of it. might not do it on all platforms, but it don't like windows 98, and that's all i run.
ade!
11-02-2004, 12:27 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

blimey, never heard of the avast remover crashing a system before.

have you run scandisk and defrag recently. it could take a while if you've got a large hard drive. starting the computer in safemode will bypass a lot of rubbish that runs in the background of a computer, and will stop a computer freezing during scandisk/defrag (don't forget to switch off your screensaver too).

have you tried formatting the boot record? (go into command prompt and type "format /mbr" without the quotes).
11-02-2004, 08:51 PM