Classic Racer John Hartle.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Classic Racer John Hartle.
I never thought i would get my photo in Classic Racer but at last i have made it. In the latest edition there is a photo of the late John Hartle dropping the MV at Cronk-ny Mona in 1968, but were am i? i am perched on the bank and if you look closely you will see spectators leaping for safety, in fact some were injured falling but John was ok just a few grazes. If i might add John's language was a bit choice but basicly who wouldnt swear after dropping the mighty MV, and correct if i am wrong but it was one his final rides for Count Agusta?
14-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Classic Racer John Hartle.
I was sitting just a short distance down the road from the tumble and remember it well...Fancy you being there--I have a photo of the bike after the accident and it was a bit bent.

14-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Were you towards Hillbery or Signpost Ian? i do remember a photo in MCN of the incident and my friend who was with me that day vowed never to visit the TT again as he was frightened to death.
14-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not your best profile, Pykey...can't see your lovely smile!
Definitely a very scary moment.
14-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd seen photos of the MV burning out at Governor's Bridge but never ever seen his crash at Cronk ny Mona in 1968, and it was a very unique photo - quite comical to see someone's legs and a pair of wellies up in the air. Nice photo of him on the Honda-4 at the Southern 100 too.

John was a great rider but always seemed to suffer from bad luck - when I was reading the article, I couldn't believe how many times he'd got injured after being the innocent victim of someone else's crash. Strangely enough, my Mum and dad are going to Chapel-en-le-Frith, John's hometown, this weekend.

A great article.
16-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Phil i can tell you it was scary but the legs were elderly spectators who later on had medical treatment for cut legs. This was a big bank in those days and you had to climb through the barbed wire for a good view.PS:Regards to your mum and dad.
16-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nearer to Hillberry as it happened..We used to hitch a lift to just above Hillberry, see the first lap(s) then walk down back to the Grandstand while the race progressed. I cannot remember which lap it was but we hade made tracks down quite quickly...Maybe this was the second race of the day ??

It was so easy to walk down before all the cottages and farmland sprung up...........

I must get the mag to see if I or any of my pals feature in the picture in question
16-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes happy days eh Ian? i used to do a shuttle sevice between Bray Hill and the Cronk, sometimes 3 up on my Golden Arrow and the good thing was you could see the riders twice on the same lap.
16-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't had my copy yet, takes longer to get to wild Wales I think.I was going through one of my albums last night for something and read again a letter sent me by John with a signed photo in 1968.If memory serves me right didn't he also crash the production Triumph as well, after a fantastic win the year before on his come back. I recall photos of both crashes in th Motor Cycle paper, my uncle saw the crash & told me about it at the time. That should have been my first TT but had to sit my O level school exams. John later lost his life at Scarborough that year bringing to an end an outstanding carrer blighted by bad luck
16-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have got 6 ceramic tiles,given to john on competing in the dutch TT,late 50s early 60s,lovely memories of a true great.
16-02-2004, 09:48 PM