Zarco to storm forward from the second row – Focused Folger qualifies solidly in 9th
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Zarco to storm forward from the second row – Focused Folger qualifies solidly in 9th
[Image: tech3blackhdr.jpg]

The Monster Yamaha Tech3 team riders concluded their Jerez qualifying campaigns notably by clinching second and third row starts for the headline event tomorrow. Johann Zarco delivered another impressive charge as he seized his third top six qualifying result of the year. The rapid French rider built up to QP2 by powering to 2nd in FP4, and he then wrapped up the 15-minute shootout with a lap that was just 0.184 back from the Championship leader Maverick Viñales. Meanwhile, Jonas Folger will begin the fourth round from one row behind his teammate after producing another mature and strong performance in Q2. The rapid rookie finished only 0.247 behind his teammate and tomorrow he intends to come out on top in the independent rider fight.

Johann ZARCO - Position: 6th - Time: 1'38.861 - Laps: 8

"I am very happy with how today went and also with the work that we undertook. This morning I was confident that I could improve on yesterday’s time, even though everyone was quite fast. However, I pushed and eventually I was able to seal my place in QP2. Here, we used the soft tyre, which was the same as all of the other riders I think, but the weather was hot which made it tricky to be fast due to the grip. Nevertheless, the team and I did a good job and I improved my time on both tyres. Finally, 6th on the grid is perfect for tomorrow and I aim to enjoy the race but stay focused and be strong at the beginning so that I can follow the leading riders. Then I will push until the end in order to take home a lot of points."

[Image: zarcojerezquali.jpg]

Jonas FOLGER - Position: 9th - Time: 1'39.108 - Laps: 8

"Overall, I am quite pleased with the qualifying result as well as with my final time. It was very close throughout the day with the other riders, and it was also a bit of a challenge as a few issues came up. Yet, we did some solid work to find the right balance today and in the end, we found a good way. This was especially true in FP4 where we used the medium compound, which is the race tyre, and a full tank of fuel, so I was confident and consistent. In QP2, with the soft tyres and low fuel, I was not quite able to find those extra two-tenths, but anyway, we can be happy with 9th on the grid. Tomorrow is the big day, and it will be a tight race, but I think that we have a positive pace and therefore a good chance."

06-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Website Find Reply